Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

richb
Administrator

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#121 Post by richb »

slopoke wrote:No, I am not happy with KDE 4. Warren did an awsome job with it, but it's still a sow's ear. That is KDE's fault. If I'd wanted a Mac, I would have bought one.
The cow has already left the barn door. ;)
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

namida12

#122 Post by namida12 »

Acesabe wrote:As Mepis 8.5 with KDE 4 has been with us long enough for most of us to have given it a good work out, I thought it might be interesting to find out if people are happy with it or not.
I did not use 8.5, but I have been using Mepis 11 for a while, and recently Danum's 4.7 remaster with good results. But I have several systems that can not sport enough memory for KDE 4, and it would be nice to have a KDE4 that was small enough for these systems.

I haven't got a clue what neopunk is about other than it creates lots of errors or seems to be the achilles heel of Mepis and is necessary for the Kmail client. All I can tell you about KDE4 almost every time I shut down my system I have lots of neopunk errors, or any time the system locks up it is a neopunk error. Other than that is seems to be flawless, and as dependable as KDE 3.5...

The boot speed of KDE 4 is faster, than KDE 3, or KDE 3.5. I believe Mr. Woodford did a grand job releasing Mepis 8.5 & Mepis 11 provding a lot of the dependability people are experiencing with KDE4, and I like Danum's remaster with the newer kernel. But I do miss the rock solid performance of KDE 3. In my systems that are mostly stock, it appears from my user experience that neopunk needs to be brought up the the standard expected from Linux to bring KDE4 to the level of usability of KDE 3.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sun May 06, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucky9

#123 Post by lucky9 »

My vanilla system has not had a nepomuk error that I'm aware of. It does shut itself down if I'm using a lot of processor cycles. But that's not an error. That's it working correctly.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

namida12

#124 Post by namida12 »

lucky9 wrote:My vanilla system has not had a nepomuk error that I'm aware of. It does shut itself down if I'm using a lot of processor cycles. But that's not an error. That's it working correctly.
There is something that is triggering neopunk errors in my systems. I live in the Usenet, I do email, watch & list items on craigslist, and ebay, use gimp & inkscape and little else on a real time basis. I run older AMD quads 620, 630 and never use much of the computer resources of one maybe two cores so would not believe it is a lot of processor cycles killing my systems or neopunk.

What I see a great deal of the time, during shut down a small box on the upper left portion pops up informing me after that I have a neopunk error, before the system fully shuts down. The other neopunk error I will close Google and boom the system locks with a neopunk error box in the upper left portion of the screen. This latter error does not happen with Danum's 4.7 remaster. It happens with the fully updated Mepis 11 version I am running all day. Annoying, and from what i read neopunk is not adorned with lots of warm feelings by a number of vocal users that post in a lot of different web locations.

To me neopunk errors in my systems is only another reboot and confirmation that Mepis 8 running KDE 3 was very stable, and did not have these types of problems. The major problem, Mepis 8 is at product end. All I desire is a solid replacement I am familiar using with without the number of Neopunk errors I experience. As a user I feel as Neopunk matures or is tossed KDE 4 X window manager will become better.

JR

lucky9

#125 Post by lucky9 »

If I were having those sorts of problems with nepomuk I'd disable it. It's not really necessary for most of what a normal user does.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#126 Post by richb »

Earlier versions of KDE 4 did have Nepomuk issues. These were corrected at 4.7 and above.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

loco

#127 Post by loco »

very happy :celebrate: with my 64bit M11, wheezy, aptoo box, kde 4.8.4 ;).

it just keeps getting faster while remaining as stable as the :egyptian: pyramids.

great work guys :thumbup:

mines >> atm >>

Code: Select all

loco@yee-hahaha:~$ inxi -c 18 -Fr
System:    Host: yee-hahaha Kernel: 3.6-5.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: MEPIS 11.0 squeeze
Machine:   System: HP-Pavilion product: FK954AAR-ABA a6535c
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: Benicia version: 1.01 Bios: American Megatrends version: 5.30 date: 09/05/2008
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
           Card-2: Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX driver: USB Audio 
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:55:12:xx:88:ed
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (7.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDP72505 size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 15G used: 5.7G (42%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
           ID: swap-2 size: 2.11GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap ID: swap-3 size: 2.25GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: 33.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1457 fan-2: 1015 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
           deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
           deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main
           deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian/ experimental-snapshots main
           deb http://aptosid.com/debian/ sid main fix.main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-talkplugin.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list
           deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free #Opera Browser (final releases)
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 9:13 Memory: 1580.0/5966.9MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.20 

eemaestro

#128 Post by eemaestro »

As of this afternoon, I am much happier w/ KDE 4.8.4. I had a hard time seeing the current time on the taskbar icon. So I right clicked on "Digital Clock Settings" and was able to change the characters to large, bold, black instead of the default white with a thin black outline. So much easier to read!

SilverBear

#129 Post by SilverBear »

I've just this afternoon installed KDE 4.8.4 on MX14. So far: GREAT!

I've liked XFCE for years. But I love KDE. There is always room for improvement, of course, but in my mind, KDE is the desktop against which all others, Linux, MS or Apple, have to be measured.
"masai7" Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750

joany

#130 Post by joany »

SilverBear wrote:I've just this afternoon installed KDE 4.8.4 on MX14. So far: GREAT!

I've liked XFCE for years. But I love KDE. There is always room for improvement, of course, but in my mind, KDE is the desktop against which all others, Linux, MS or Apple, have to be measured.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised about how easy it was to install KDE on top of MX-14. The configuration took some time, and there are a few "gotchas" along the way, but overall it wasn't bad. I like a full-featured OS. My machine is old (circa 2006), but it was designed for Vista so it still has plenty of horsepower to handle KDE, so why not?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “General”