Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

Acesabe

Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#1 Post by Acesabe »

As Mepis 8.5 with KDE 4 has been with us long enough for most of us to have given it a good work out, I thought it might be interesting to find out if people are happy with it or not.

::AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz::Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H::Crucial 2gig DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600::Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache::
::O² Joggler::

richb
Administrator

#2 Post by richb »

I am very happy with MEPIS 8.5 and KDE 4.4. I was skeptical when KDE4 was first released. In fact I disliked it. As more releases came out I became a convert. And Warren has done a great job integrating KDE4 with stable Debian, not an easy task. I am looking forward with great anticipation to Mepis 10.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joany

#3 Post by joany »

richb wrote:I am very happy with MEPIS 8.5 and KDE 4.4. I was skeptical when KDE4 was first released. In fact I disliked it. As more releases came out I became a convert. And Warren has done a great job integrating KDE4 with stable Debian, not an easy task. I am looking forward with great anticipation to Mepis 10.
+1

I'm not sure I would have liked the standard KDE4 found in other distros. Warren did a masterful job with his implementation, and I'm completely satisfied with the results. I find I can do more with KDE4 than with KDE3, although there is a slight learning curve.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

cage47

#4 Post by cage47 »

Warren did an excellent job of packaging KDE 4.3 in M8.5. But there is so much someone outside of the KDE devs can do. There are still some basic issues I still have. I've even given 4.4 a run in and many of the issues I have had have not been addressed even when they were reported to have been.

IF I upgrade it WILL be to M10. I have decided I'm not going back to Debian for the foreseeable future. I'm not liking the base Squeeze install and unstable isn't looking much better. And much of it has to do with KDE. But there are other reasons too.

Frank_v7

#5 Post by Frank_v7 »

I put down "Undecided" even though I use it as my main desktop. I'll "like" it when I can get Bluetooth working. Bluetooth works fine in my 8.0.15 install.
FRH

FRH
MX15 MSI MS-9804 V1.X Mini ATX Mainboard, AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ 4GB ram

Roadblock

#6 Post by Roadblock »

richb wrote:I am very happy with MEPIS 8.5 and KDE 4.4. I was skeptical when KDE4 was first released. In fact I disliked it. As more releases came out I became a convert. And Warren has done a great job integrating KDE4 with stable Debian, not an easy task. I am looking forward with great anticipation to Mepis 10.
Pretty much the way I feel now as well. Well said Richard. ;)
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

lucky9

#7 Post by lucky9 »

Mepis 8.5.x shows the future.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

bigboppercole

#8 Post by bigboppercole »

I'm happy with Mepis 8.5, not so much with KDE 4.3. While it may not be beta or even alpha quality any longer like 4.0 was, it is still not without it's problems. Warren has done a masterful job of getting it working as best as it can though.
I've been using it almost daily on my notebook for several weeks now. Just as soon as I have the time to rearrange hard drives in my desktop, I'll install it on there as well.

Al

namida12

#9 Post by namida12 »

I think warren has done a bang up job, and also Danum with his amazing KDE4 remastered unofficial releases...

Danum's KDE4 knowledge, and assistance on this forum has been undeniable valuable to the community... Three cheers for him!!!

KDE4 is the future, but I was happy Warren included the older style menu function to assist early adopters. Guess it is not only me, I have read that favorable comments about his release on other forums...

I use Mepis 8, because I can not get any work done in the newer version... I will change eventually, or use another GIU on Mepis, (Maybe switching to all AntiX household) but I know time marches along, and things do not stay the same...

I have never been skeptical of KDE4, I just do not like the eye candy changes that seem hinder my progress, some of it just feels change for change sake rather than well thought out current improvements (future improvements with the new underlying code I can not comment about, other can and are capable of providing good information)...

Nought said I am still using Mepis 8.0.15 fully updated...

JR
64-bit version of Mepis 8, and a very quick AntiX

m_pav
Developer

#10 Post by m_pav »

I find KDE4 in its regular default desktop and menu system to be nothing short of absolutely awful and exceedingly time consuming, so Warrens decision to set the default to a saner and more usable folder view Desktop and a decent menu makes it shine like no other KDE4 based distro I have ever seen.

By and large, I am very satisfied with KDE4, at least for that which works as it should, but there are too many omissions that have not yet been addressed that IMHO require urgent attention and remedial action.

I answered yes because I like it alot, at least the way it is provided with Mepis.

Mike P
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Return to “General”