-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

The Mepis Torrent Team needs YOU

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
SilverBear
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

The Mepis Torrent Team needs YOU

#1 Post by SilverBear » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:38 pm

"What," you might ask, "is the MEPIS Torrent Team?"

Well, next to the Wiki, and MepisLovers.org forum, it's the oldest Mepis community project specifically authorized by Warren. Dating from early in 2007, several of us who had been posting torrents of Mepis releases and seeding them on an ad-hoc basis quickly came together and applied some discipline to ourselves in a time of crisis.

The "crisis" was that the ISO of the newly-released SimplyMepis 6.5 had gotten into the FTP mirrors around the world in a corrupt form. Several quick-thinking subscribers who had the correct ISO from Warren's server established it as THE correct ISO with the accurate md5sum. . . and a bunch of us got the torrent up and seeded, and with Warren's help, redirected the forks trying to DL it from Distrowatch's FTP link to using our torrent instead. Within a couple days, the FTP mirrors had the correct ISO file, but when the crunch was on, it was bit-torrent distribution that came though.

For those unfamiliar with it, bit-torrent is a (mostly) decentralized way of distributing files. Unlike FTP, where ther is one server to which all clients must log into for downloads, bit-torrent features a central tracker which designates any number of individual computers as having all or part of the file being shared, and the individual computers swap "chunks" among each other until everyone in the "swarm" has the whole thing.

TORRENT EFFICIENCY:

This means there are no bottlenecks, as in the case of the FTP protocol, with its server-to-client one-way transmission. For example, right now the 32-bit version of MEPIS 8.0.10 has several "servers" --AKA "seeds"-- delivering the ISO to whomever wants to download it ("leech").
See this page:
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 09851c3f5e

At the time I'm writing, there are 24 seeds serving 6 leeches -- and the beauty of the system is that each leech's BT client app (KTorrent, Transmission, etc.) will automatically download from the computers with the best/fastest connection.

The point is this:
after more than 2 1/2 years of operation, the consensus among the MEPIS Torrent Team is that it's time to reorganize.

We want to bring in more members. Discuss details--although we think we have our system down pretty well, there's always room for new ideas. And the old Team director isn't quitting the team, but he'd like to see someone else with proven abilities elected to the helm. That means an election, so we want a current list of dedicated members for voting.

Also, the official Torrent Team forum is currently being hosted on sblinux.freeforums.org. . . and we'd like to move that to a new MepisLovers.org forum section. At that time there were no special project forums, but now we have seen the Documentation Project (which started out as a secret project on mepis.net!) and the Artwork Project move into their own sections on ML.org, and we think that is good, and that we ought to centralize all the Mepis projects' forum activity here.

TORRENT TEAM ACTION LIST:

1] Check out the Torrent Team Project Page on MEPIScommunity.org for more info.

2] Volunteer to be on the Torrent Team rapid-response list. No-one has to do anything s/he cannot do at any given time. . . but the more of us on the list, the more likely we are to have a well-seeded torrent within a few hours of a SimplyMEPIS, or antiX, or Mepis Unofficial Community Edition ISO release.

FACT: a well-seeded torrent on LinuxTracker.org is a good advert for our favourite distro! A poorly-seeded one reflects badly on the MEPIS community.

3] As part of this "membership drive" I am scrapping the old Torrent Team list.

That's right. We're all starting fresh again, and we want YOU to email SilverBear through the MepisLovers.org interface and give
ML user name -- real name (first, last, or both) --email address.
Your email address will not be promiscuously displayed anywhere: Torrent Team Email Alerts go out via BCC.

4] Once our new list is compiled, I'll ask Blue for a new forum section, and we can organize an election for the new Torrent Team director.

5] We're doing this now, so that when MEPIS 8.5 is released we'll be so "together" that downloading the new release via bit-torrent will be as fast for most people as via FTP.

ASK QUESTIONS AND DISCUSS things in this thread.
EMAIL ME to add your name to the new, blank list of Torrent Team members!
"masai7" Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750

dekalbave
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#2 Post by dekalbave » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:37 am

You might want to pin this thread, because if I didn't remember where it was when I first read it, I might have had a hard time finding it again. Just a thought...:)
Registered Linux user #421576
Registered Linux machines #329065; #330424

Helix
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Helix » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm

email sent!

dekalbave
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by dekalbave » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:53 am

Nice that someone put up the 64-bit .iso ! Am seeding that as well as 32-bit :)
Registered Linux user #421576
Registered Linux machines #329065; #330424

SilverBear
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by SilverBear » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 am

As the Project Page says, our mission is to keep the current Mepis and antiX releases seeded. Since Warren has been putting out a 64-bit version, we've been seeding a torrent for it.

I'll admit that until version 8.0. the seeding on the 64-bit torrent was sometimes not as good, and the torrent didn't get put up as quickly as the 32-bit, but we have good coverage on both these days.

archtoad6

#6 Post by archtoad6 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:49 am

• Nice use of color, SB.
  • No wonder I haven't heard from you.
  • E-mail sent.
  • D/l-ing 8.0.10 32 & 64 now, will have 1 seed up in 24 hrs, & a 2nd shortly after.
    EDIT: Well at the time KTorrent said 23 hrs to completion. Now, 19 hrs. later, it still wants over 13 more.
  • I understand about
    ... following Warren's preference, LinuxTracker.org is the official Torrent Tracker for MEPIS torrents.
but what about TuxDistro -- is there an official position about them or anyone else who seeds MEPIS? Specifically, TuxDistro doesn't have 8.0.10, should we help them w/ that?
Rick
Older than ENIAC, younger than dirt.
My cat really was named "Patches".
- Patches (1988-2005): "My human really is a programmer."
Remember Alexander -- you don't have to untie the knot to solve the puzzle.

SilverBear
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by SilverBear » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 am

archtoad6 wrote:
  • Nice use of color, SB.
  • No wonder I haven't heard from you.
  • E-mail sent.
  • D/l-ing 8.0.10 32 & 64 now, will have 1 seed up in 24 hrs, & a 2nd shortly after.
  • I understand about
but what about TuxDistro -- is there an official position about them or anyone else who seeds MEPIS? Specifically, TuxDistro doesn't have 8.0.10, should we halp them w/ that?
A good question, ArchT. I'm going to ask Blue for a dedicated Torrent Team forum section, and discuss that, along with choosing new group co-ordinators.

--SB

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Signed up, but question...

#8 Post by Paul.. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

email sent, and happy to help, but I also had a question.

I'm using Deluge as my BT client...and have noticed that both streams are encrypted by default which is good, but it made me wonder...

I am also a Comcast customer here in the US. Does anyone know if Comcast is still throttling BT traffic via the Sandvine box? Can they detect Deluge or any other BT client and throttle if it is encrypted?

-pc

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by lucky9 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 pm

I don't believe it makes a difference. Encryption just makes what you are sending private. But doesn't do a thing for usage profiling.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

snafu21
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by snafu21 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm new to Mepis and the site but I've been using torrents for better part of 10 years. Have a computer running all the time with Vuze running in the background. Wouldn't be anything to throw a couple iso's in queue and leave them be.

Shoot me a PM or Email if I can help, lord knows I'll be around trying to learn the new OS.

Return to “General”