Debian Social Contract & Code of Conduct

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
richb
Administrator

Re: Debian Social Contract & Code of Conduct

#11 Post by richb »

The closest thing we have is the Forum Rules. As Eadwine said we have an active group of moderators and full discussions when threads go a bit awry. A link to the Rules is in my signature block.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

timkb4cq
Developer

#12 Post by timkb4cq »

manyroads wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 am Curious that so many focus on the Forums when neither set of rules has anything to do with the forums but rather with communication of issues and organizational conduct regarding the OS and how items are dealt with between users (aka. buyers) and problems which may arise.
Not so curious since most of the communication and organizational conduct around MX is conducted via the Forum.
Yes, there are restricted developer & moderator sections of the forum, but those areas hold to the same rules as the public areas.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

@richb I agree and I, also feel the need to add, I truly enjoy and value this community.

Just yesterday I was doing some research here and on the Debian site. On the Debian site, their principles are accessible on their landing page and numerous other prominent locations.
Screenshot_2018-12-15_07-08-54.png
Finding those, I went hunting for similar clear statements already knowing they apply on the MX sites (main & forum). I was unable to find anything beyond what you mentioned. My thought was, and remains, new visitors benefit when they are able to read and understand the principles and values which guide a group they are considering joining.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#14 Post by Eadwine Rose »

The forum rules are right up there in the welcome section.

People just do not read them.

You're the first that actually actively asked!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

Sorry, but I didn't sign up for any Debian guidelines or rules of conduct when I joined the forum in 2007. I joined the Mepis-Lovers, and then the MX, Forum, not the Debian organisation. I agreed to follow the Forum rules.

Your assumption in your OP that this forum appeared to "value and follow" the Debian rules/guidelines was not correct. I had no idea what those rules were.

It may be possible that currently you see the civil atmosphere and behaviour here as resembling the debian rules and guidelines, but there is no guarantee the debian ones won't change. From what happened during the whole "should Debian adopt systemd as default or not" hooha, politics are a part of that organisation. Who knows what will happen in the future, what changes in rules might be effected.

Let's just focus on our own forum. I also belong to some other non-linux forums, who are just as civil without the need for detailed code/guidelines, save for some very standard terms you normally see when you register and sign up for forums. If I like a forum, I stay and maybe contribute. If I don't agree with how they do things, I either don't visit again or just lurk.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

@asqwerth as I noted above, I was not really referring to the forums... but rather the MX Linux OS and its support.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

nik.gnomic

#17 Post by nik.gnomic »

of course there are rules, this is not 'nam dude!

i have read the rules - maybe the best brevity I have seen for a distribution forum

Return to “General”