[fluffpost] 2 years left (Win7 EOL) to learn this *nix stuff

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
mandrake7.3

[fluffpost] 2 years left (Win7 EOL) to learn this *nix stuff

#1 Post by mandrake7.3 »

I wasn't supposed to install jdownloader2 as "sudo ./JD2Setup_x64.sh," huh? :eek:

Well, I did manage -
smb shares working with gufw blocking everything else
and
Compositor set to sync vertical for youtube video tearing

My next steps -
Uninstall this rooted-jdownloader somehow or another
and
Find an audio player that will take spacebar as play/pause, and arrows as next+previous without affecting every other app.

In 20 years I should have all this down pretty well...
This really seems like best Linux I've ever tried before, maybe I'll stick with it this time :happy:

Richard

Re: [fluffpost] 2 years left (Win7 EOL) to learn this *nix stuff

#2 Post by Richard »

Find an audio player that will take spacebar as play/pause, and arrows as next+previous without affecting every other app.
VLC will do it but it has to have the focus to receive the inputs of spacebar.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

handy

#3 Post by handy »

& for video, the new v3, of VLC is vastly improved on v2.*. Now .mkv files play pretty well, instead of the mess that VLC v2. used to make out of them. Anyway, a bit off topic, sorry about that. ;)

(Now I've got 5 posts & can go upload screenshots in my initial thread. ;) )
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

VLC and many other audio players will also let you change the key bindings, so you can edit those to exactly what you prefer.

We now have VLC 3.0.2 in the test repo...I take it that you (handy) would vote to have it moved to main, which I would also like.

MX<3

#5 Post by MX<3 »

mandrake7.3 wrote:I wasn't supposed to install jdownloader2 as "sudo ./JD2Setup_x64.sh," huh? :eek:

Well, I did manage -
smb shares working with gufw blocking everything else
and
Compositor set to sync vertical for youtube video tearing

My next steps -
Uninstall this rooted-jdownloader somehow or another
and

In 20 years I should have all this down pretty well...
This really seems like best Linux I've ever tried before, maybe I'll stick with it this time :happy:
I use Clementine on here and Windows. Then set 'Shift-Z' and '...X' to Previous and Next track; then set 'Shift-N' and '...M' to Volume Up and Down. You can even set the Volume step amount.
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

handy

#6 Post by handy »

Stevo wrote:VLC and many other audio players will also let you change the key bindings, so you can edit those to exactly what you prefer.

We now have VLC 3.0.2 in the test repo...I take it that you (handy) would vote to have it moved to main, which I would also like.
@Stevo yep, I'd like to see it in main. :)

It is great to finally have VLC handling the .mkv format after it having been a disaster in that regard forever. (from my experience at least)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”