What's the meaning behind the codenames for MX and antiX?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
richb
Administrator

Re: What's the meaning behind the codenames for MX and antiX?

#51 Post by richb »

I was a duck and cover kid in the 50's, and a polio vaccine test subject. My my times have changed.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Gordon Cooper

#52 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Here Down-under, our kids are taught 'duck and cover' for earthquakes. Wartime (WW2) we were supposed to evacuate to a set of uncovered trenches between the pine trees near the school.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

i_ri

#53 Post by i_ri »

hello Raymzap and everyone
mx has had some good names. The labels seem to allow incorporation of the user and userbase as well as the mx system. The developers always make a great choice and surprise us.
Yes there is few untainted words, so why not create a unword.? like horixon, symxbiosis, fuxion, anglx, facxt ..
Can't avoid thinking that a word like Horizon probably has a predetermined successor; whatever it is; it will be spxtacular.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#54 Post by rokytnji.1 »

I like mine

$ inxi -S
System: Host: biker Kernel: 4.9.77-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: Blackbox
Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015

Stevo
Developer

#55 Post by Stevo »

Some eclectic choices might be the starship names chosen by their superintelligent AIs in Iain Bank's Culture series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ure_series

Such as Just Read the Instructions, Full Refund, I Blame My Mother, or I Blame Your Mother.

Or there's the names chosen by the law enforcement angels in the weird fantasy webcomic, Kill Six Billion Demons, such as 82 White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil (shortened to White Chain)

Adrian
Developer

#56 Post by Adrian »

Those sound like the ones used by Elon Musk to name his thingies...

Stevo
Developer

#57 Post by Stevo »

Woah, today's KSBD strip just sailed on a ship to the Greek island of Lesbos. I did not see that coming...

How about Best OS No Money Can Buy?
Last edited by Stevo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat

#58 Post by sunrat »

I like Full Refund. MX already comes with a 100% money back guarantee. :D

Stevo
Developer

#59 Post by Stevo »

MX Ultimate II :p

Wait, there's already an Ultimate Edition Linux 5.7. Damn, they're living my joke.

shmu26

#60 Post by shmu26 »

Sort-of on the same subject:
what is the meaning of antiX? Does it imply an opposition to X, and if so, what is X?
And what does MX stand for?
Just curious, not taking sides, especially since I don't even know what the sides are...

Return to “General”