Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 2 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Laptop conversion to MX - Vista problem [SOLVED]

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Laptop conversion to MX - Vista problem

#11 Postby Gordon Cooper » Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Did the same as Chris suggests on a Vista laptop for a family member. Fitted a new SSD with MX-16 installed. In this case was also having problems with the Vista's optical drive, so plugged the SSD into the spare SATA slot on my desktop, loaded MX and transferred files from the laptop, then moved SSD to the laptop. All worked
properly so fixed the optical drive as second part of the job.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-16 64bit. Also MX15, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Toshiba Portege Tablet MX16, WinXP.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Postby Gaer Boy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 am

@skidoo - Thanks for the new link - that looks a better way forward. That article didn't show up in my searches but it gives me hope that I can use GParted, which I much prefer to any Windows tool I've used, except PerfectDisk. I will now have to check if my friend has her Vista installation disc (chances about 50% I suspect).

I still see no need to spend ages cleaning the disk to save 20GB or so - I just need to remove the block. I only need about half the available space for MX-16 - her Vista installation is less than 80GB accumulated over 8 years. It includes loads of redundant programs.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-16
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-16.1

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Postby skidoo » Fri May 19, 2017 6:32 pm

"I still see no need to spend ages cleaning the disk to save 20GB or so - I just need to remove the block."
I guess I introduced confusion by mentioning the size/amount. I did so because the OP mentioned "making space for MX."
The point was: the suspected "blockage" is presence of unmovable SystemRestore data residing at the tail-end of the partition.

"I will now have to check if my friend has her Vista installation disc"

What am I missing? I wouldn't expect an installation disk would be needed.
Maybe that was instructed in the article (in case you need to fix BCD)?

Once the blockage attributable to unmovable SystemRestore data residing at the tail-end of the partition is eliminated,
either msDiskManager or gparted (your choice) should be able to accomplish the resize.

Gparted. Drag right-hand side of the Vista partition to make it smaller. Click apply.
The operation doesn't alter the partition UUID, does it? (Maybe it DOES. I don't recall, that's why I'm asking.)
So, after making the partition for MX, and installing... and update-grub, doesn't Vista wind up being chainloaded, with BCD none-the-wiser?

Richard

#14 Postby Richard » Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Gparted. Drag right-hand side of the Vista partition to make it smaller. Click apply.
The operation doesn't alter the partition UUID, does it? (Maybe it DOES. I don't recall, that's why I'm asking.)
Not in my experience. I've never had to correct fstab after resizing a WinXP partition.
Imagine that other Wins are the same.
#MX16 p1-x64: desktop, 4 GB RAM, 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
MX160-386: netbook, 1 GB RAM, w/3.16.0-4-686-pae
MX160-386 snapshot to desktop, 4 GB RAM, w/3.16.0-4-686-pae
DoubleCmd-9, LibO-5.4.2.2, Dropbox, Slimjet, Lazarus, CherryTree, Vbox

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Postby Gaer Boy » Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 am

skidoo wrote:"I will now have to check if my friend has her Vista installation disc"

What am I missing? I wouldn't expect an installation disk would be needed.
Maybe that was instructed in the article (in case you need to fix BCD)?

Sorry for the silence - been away for the weekend. The blocking file at the end of the partition is the MFT, so using GParted loses the partition. The repair option on the installation disk rectifies this - at least, I hope it will when I go down that road. Any way, if I find that it doesn't, she will have MX-16 instead of Vista.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-16

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Postby Gaer Boy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 pm

To wrap this up, the Vista installation disc couldn't be found, so I downloaded the demo version of PerfectDisk 14. This was able to move the system files at the end of the disk, freeing up 115GB for MX-16. She's now nervously dual-booting and phoning me for help most days! Time will sort things out.

Return to “General”