Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#1 Post by Silent Observer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 am

I've been using the Keramik window decorations in Mepis 11 almost as long as I've had Mepis installed; I like the look of the "bubble" in the title bar and the position and style of the buttons. I've recently installed Kubuntu 14.04, which has a newer version of KDE4, and was disappointed to find Keramik not among the available window decoration styles, and all the available decoration themes look distressingly like vanilla Windows XP with different buttons and colors. Even more annoying was the fact that Keramik doesn't appear to be available for download, either from the "get more decorations" button or via a fairly extensive web search. The closest I see available is BII, with the "bubble" squared off to a "block" and all the subtlety lost.

I have a perfectly fine Keramik installed in Mepis 11, but every reference I've found to where KDE stores its theme and decoration information has been incorrect for either Mepis or Kubuntu. Can anyone tell me where to find the installed decorations (and color themes, for that matter) in Mepis 11 and what files I'd need to transfer to use the existing theme in another installation? I've looked in ~/.kde/apps/desktoptheme (where one online reference pointed) and in /etc/kde without success; other references pointed to folders inside /share (I don't see anything KDE related in there).

Given both Mepis and Kubuntu are ultimately derived from Debian, I think I can figure out where the files need to wind up if I can discover where they start from; if not, I can ask on the Kubuntu forum (assuming the same person who knows where Mepis 11 stores them doesn't also know where Kubuntu 14.04 expects to find them).
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

User avatar
Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#2 Post by Utopia » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 am

The .xml file for Keramik is located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kthememanager/themes/Keramik
Henry

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5919
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#3 Post by joany » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:49 am

I don't know if this will help, but there's a Debian package named metacity-themes, which includes keramik-Gyellow as one of its themes. The metacity-themes package is in the Wheezy repository, but I don't know if Kubuntu 14.04 supports it.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

User avatar
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9406
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#4 Post by kmathern » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02 am

A search at packages.debian.org shows all the Squeeze packages containing "keramik" files: https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... ds=keramik. The /usr/share/kde4/apps/kthememanager/themes/Keramik/Keramik.xml file that Utopia mentioned is from the kdebase-workspace-data package. Btw you can do similar searches of this type at http://packages.ubuntu.com

There's also a possibility that the package in Mepis 11 with the Keramik file(s) might be one of the theme packages that Brooko created for Mepis 11.0. If it is, the Keramik file(s) in Brooko's package might divert files in the regular KDE packages.

User avatar
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#5 Post by Silent Observer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 am

Hmm. The kdebase-workspace-data package isn't present in the Ubuntu repositories for Trusty Tahr (14.04); however, /usr/share/kde4/apps/kthememanager/themes/Keramik is present in both installations, but the theme manage in System Settings in Kubuntu won't display it as an option. The presence of the file in Kubuntu may be due to my having installed the metacity-themes package (having found it in a Synaptic search for Keramik) -- but that didn't let me see Keramik in the window decorations selector.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

User avatar
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9406
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#6 Post by kmathern » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Silent Observer wrote:Hmm. The kdebase-workspace-data package isn't present in the Ubuntu repositories for Trusty Tahr (14.04); however, /usr/share/kde4/apps/kthememanager/themes/Keramik is present in both installations, but the theme manage in System Settings in Kubuntu won't display it as an option. The presence of the file in Kubuntu may be due to my having installed the metacity-themes package (having found it in a Synaptic search for Keramik) -- but that didn't let me see Keramik in the window decorations selector.
It looks like the kdebase-workspace-data package is now named "kde-workspace-data".

I got it from this search here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... ds=keramik

Btw it's not unusual to see package names change from one KDE4 version to the next, and in your case it's a change of several KDE4 versions (4.5.1 -> 4.11.8).

User avatar
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#7 Post by Silent Observer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:30 pm

kmathern wrote:
Silent Observer wrote:Hmm. The kdebase-workspace-data package isn't present in the Ubuntu repositories for Trusty Tahr (14.04); however, /usr/share/kde4/apps/kthememanager/themes/Keramik is present in both installations, but the theme manage in System Settings in Kubuntu won't display it as an option. The presence of the file in Kubuntu may be due to my having installed the metacity-themes package (having found it in a Synaptic search for Keramik) -- but that didn't let me see Keramik in the window decorations selector.
It looks like the kdebase-workspace-data package is now named "kde-workspace-data".

I got it from this search here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... ds=keramik

Btw it's not unusual to see package names change from one KDE4 version to the next, and in your case it's a change of several KDE4 versions (4.5.1 -> 4.11.8).
Thanks, that explains the presence of the keramik.xml where we expect it to be; I've already got that package (I think it installed with Kubuntu; the file has a modified date well before the last few days when I've been chasing this part of the setup). Of course, package names changing makes it less easy to find what you're looking for when it's time to install a new OS (part of why I was looking to avoid the whole "install fresh every so often" mill).

Now the question is why the Window Decorations panel won't show me Keramik. :confused:
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

User avatar
Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:53 am

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#8 Post by Utopia » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Do you have "kdeartwork-theme-window" installed? My guess is the missing pieces can be found there, haven't tested it.
Henry

User avatar
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9406
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#9 Post by kmathern » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Utopia wrote:Do you have "kdeartwork-theme-window" installed? My guess is the missing pieces can be found there, haven't tested it.
Henry
That might be it.

The kdeartwork-theme-window package isn't installed by default according to the manifest here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/relea ... 4.manifest

User avatar
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Transfer KDE goodies from one install to another?

#10 Post by Silent Observer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:35 am

AHA!!! When I was searching for kdeartwork-theme-window, I found there was a metapackage named "kdeartwork" that depended on the window one, along with icons, emoticons, wallpapers, and color themes. I grabbed the lot, and now I have the much longer list of window decorations, including Keramik (and probably the color theme or settings options I'll be looking for next).

Given Kubuntu is well above the size of a CD, and well below the size of a DVD, I wonder why they didn't just include that stuff in the iso. Well, I probably know -- it's the same reason Costco carries Samuel Adams Boston Lager but not Sam Adams Light; the folks who want the latter aren't in the 80% demographic (or wherever they make the cut based on demand and sell rate).
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Post Reply

Return to “KDE”