-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Weather observations in KDE 4.8 ?

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Weather observations in KDE 4.8 ?

#11 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Nice!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by eemaestro » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for the URL, richb. Until you had, I had no idea what you meant by CWP. Nor did APT.
After trying APT and Add widget, I found CWP using synaptic, and installed it. Then I added a KDE taskbar widget for it. Also discovered what Add panel means in the KDE taskbar, as I had to use it.
Got the error message

Code: Select all

Executable: kdeinit4 PID: 7254 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
when I installed it. But it seems to work anyway.

When I hover my mouse over the widget, I can view:
Humidity
Wind
Rain
Dew Point
Visibility
Pressure
and
UV Index measurements. When I left-click my mouse on the widget, I can view temperature and dewpoint simultaneously. Excellent! Just what I wanted. Thank you, richb.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Sorry I was not more specific in the first post. Glad it gives you what you need.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by eemaestro » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you, Kent, for graciously showing me how me the proper use of APT. I am making a note of it. I appreciate your notes on how to do this stuff in BASH too, although I haven't tried it yet and won't because you can't get something simpler at the CLI than a left mouse click.

I also learned the acronym APT is a misnomer. APT follows the UNIX convention of using lower-case only, even in its own name. Therefore, for everything.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Back in the dim dark ages when I started as a trainee weather observer, temperature and relative humidity were the
standard reporting values. Then by international agreement, reports changed to temperature and dewpoint. Standard
method was with two identical thermometers, one of them having the bulb cooled by a gauze wrapping and a wick
from a bottle of water. amount of cooling (ie evaporation) directly related to air humidity. RH and/or dewpoint then
calculated from readings of the dry and wet bulb thermometers. Things would become complicated when air temperature
at freezing point.

Return to “KDE”