-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

#51 Post by eemaestro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:55 pm

No sound whatsoever upon rebooting from hard drive.
Tried Stevo's sound fix
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 16&t=35682
that worked last time. No good, even after making it executable by all. Perplexed. Could the Soundblaster card have gotten renumbered when I reinstalled so that it is no longer #1 ? Why did Stevo's fix work last time, but not this time? Also, audacity complains "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate." in a dialog box when I try to play an existing .aup file. Did I overlook something simple? Always had sound working from the MEPIS12 liveDVD.
No, the motherboard sound output jack doesn't work either.

EDIT:

Code: Select all

# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...
???

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#52 Post by joany » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm

eemaestro wrote:After backing up my user files one last time this morning, to the external hard drive and to the two 8GB USB zip drives, I reinstalled MEPIS12 from the liveDVD. The reinstallation took less than 53 minutes.

Konsole has a working history now in my default user account! I had checked the Yes button during installation to save the /home/user files. I see that on my main user account .kde and .kdebak still exist. " du -ch" shows each contains 1.9GB of files.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should have done a "clean" installation -- by not re-using the original /home directory. If you had configuration errors with the previous installation, then you just copied those same errors into the new one. Your current audio problems could stem from corrupt files in ~/.kde from the previous installation that are being re-used.

Since you have all your important data backed up on other media, I would repeat the installation but do not re-use /home. After the installation is finished, you can copy your data from the media (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.), but do not copy anything from the previous ~/.kde directory.

Of course, with a clean installation, you won't have any of the tweaks and customizations to KDE that you made the last time. You'll have to make them again.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#53 Post by kmathern » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I've never had problems re-using /home as long as I don't reuse an existing user account folder that I might have been having problems with (in my case /home/kent).

Before doing the reinstall I mount the partition and rename it to something like /home/kent-backup.

During the install I have it create a new /home/kent as my primary user, so it gets a fresh .kde profile and all the others (.config, .local, etc.).

Back in the new install I can copy things over from the /home/kent-backup folder. I generally don't copy over things from the /home/kent-backup/.config, /home/kent-backup/.kde, /home/kent-backup/.local folders and a couple others.

I also try to limit what I keep in my /home account. I have several folders in my /home account that are actually symlinks to folders on other partitions. The data in those doesn't get touched during a reinstall. I do need to recreate symlinks once I'm back in the new install.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#54 Post by joany » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:11 pm

kmathern wrote:I've never had problems re-using /home as long as I don't reuse an existing user account folder that I might have been having problems with (in my case /home/kent).
It seems the OP was having a host of problems with his existing user account, which is why he should start fresh.
kmathern wrote: Before doing the reinstall I mount the partition and rename it to something like /home/kent-backup.

During the install I have it create a new /home/kent as my primary user, so it gets a fresh .kde profile and all the others (.config, .local, etc.).

Back in the new install I can copy things over from the /home/kent-backup folder. I generally don't copy over things from the /home/kent-backup/.config, /home/kent-backup/.kde, /home/kent-backup/.local folders and a couple others.
I concur.
kmathern wrote: I also try to limit what I keep in my /home account. I have several folders in my /home account that are actually symlinks to folders on other partitions. The data in those doesn't get touched during a reinstall. I do need to recreate symlinks once I'm back in the new install.
Excellent advice. Always keep everything you can somewhere besides /home. This makes it so much easier to back up and restore /home because you don't have to keep dragging all that stuff along with the backups. In my case, the ~/.wine folder takes up over 1GB of space and my ~/.virtualbox folder uses almost 15GB. It would be silly for me to back up all that data along with /home, so save those folders in other partitions and created symlinks to them.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#55 Post by eemaestro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm

I am okay with making a separate partition for data files I want to keep. However, I'd like to so on a separate hard drive. How do I do that? My computer has a separate hard drive, but I never created mount point for it. Does that mean it is not mounted under my current linux FS? Should I should look through my data files and find subsets of around 10GB or more?

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#56 Post by eemaestro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 pm

kmathern wrote:I've never had problems re-using /home as long as I don't reuse an existing user account folder that I might have been having problems with (in my case /home/kent).

Before doing the reinstall I mount the partition and rename it to something like /home/kent-backup.
Do you do that as superuser running from the hard drive linux, or as superuser running from the liveDVD, or doesn't it matter?

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#57 Post by eemaestro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 pm

UPDATE: I just created a new user account using Kuser as superuser.
I logged out. I could not log into the new user account. So I guess I should reinstall MEPIS ?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#58 Post by kmathern » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 pm

eemaestro wrote:

Do you do that as superuser running from the hard drive linux, or as superuser running from the liveDVD, or doesn't it matter?
I do that while running in the live session (LiveCD, LiveDVD, LiveUSB, etc.).

Unmount the partition after you've renamed your user account folder in the /home folder, and then start the install.

I usually only have a single user on my machine. If you have multiple users and you want fresh user profiles for them too, you would need to do something similar for them.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#59 Post by eemaestro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Okay, Kent, I reinstalled MEPIS12 according to your directions. It took me about 16 minues. I did not change any partitions, or rename any user accounts. I just used default for most dialog box selections. Now I am starting anew with factory-fresh KDE user accounts. Thank you for your detailed guidance. You are responsible for my success w/ MEPIS.

Stevo's sound fix worked. YAY!!!! Now I can listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5SbFNK7EYg while I work. YAHOO!!!!!
I copied my backup scipts from the removable device and am changing them into restore scripts w/ AWK so I can restore my user files.
Thank you, Joany. I appreciate your opinion. I don't think I could have been successful so quickly without your guidance. I haven't yet tried another user account, but will do so shortly.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#60 Post by eemaestro » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 am

I reinstalled MEPIS12 (64bit) from the LiveDVD. I reinstalled user files from my Toshiba external hard drive,
with only a minor revisions of my backup scripts, to convert them to restore scripts.
All is well.

I am quite surprised to see the GNU C and C++ compilers were installed by default. I would have installed them eventually, but now I don't have to. Perl and python scripts were also installed by default.

I reinstalled the Debian packages I use daily using APT.

Thank you for your comments and moral support.

Return to “KDE”