-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

#41 Post by lucky9 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Re the amount of time it takes to backup stuff:

I have an 80 GB HDD in my PC that is used for one operating system. I use Clonezilla to backup to an External HDD via USB 2. Less than 30 minutes. Usually (depends on the OS to some degree) it's 20 to 25 minutes. Call it half an hour because I can boot the Clonezilla LiveCD and be rebooting after the backup in that amount of time.
Note: this is not a clone, it's a compressed Image of the disk.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#42 Post by eemaestro » Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 pm

lucky9 wrote:Re the amount of time it takes to backup stuff:
Note: this is not a clone, it's a compressed Image of the disk.
Meaning that you're booting from it, lucky9?
Are you running 64 bit OS?
I have USB 3.0, so should be 10X faster, hopefully. Glad to hear your benchmark for USB2.0, though.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#43 Post by lucky9 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 pm

It's a 'backup Image', not a clone. A clone would take longer and would be bigger I'd assume. I've never needed anything except the recovery of the last Image. In other words I used the backup Image to rewrite the disk. I can usually expect a rewrite (from External HDD via USB 2 to Internal HDD) to take 20 minutes or so. Adjust your expectations per my amount of data that must be Imaged or rewritten). I usually need 20-25 GB of data uncompressed. 15 GB compresses to a small enough size that a single DVD can hold it.

I don't make an optical backup very often anymore. But the time spent burning a disk can be worth a lot at times. It just depends.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#44 Post by eemaestro » Sat May 31, 2014 5:04 pm

Okay, I got the two additional media and will back up my files.
I have written a page of text in Kate. I found Kate's process id, but lost the viewport. Is there a way to give the corresponding KDE viewport input focus from the command line?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#45 Post by joany » Sat May 31, 2014 5:44 pm

eemaestro wrote:Okay, I got the two additional media and will back up my files.
I have written a page of text in Kate. I found Kate's process id, but lost the viewport. Is there a way to give the corresponding KDE viewport input focus from the command line?
In other words, Kate is running but it doesn't display a window? There's a command-line program called wmctrl, which might be able to help. You might have to install it first (it's in the repositories). http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/
Last edited by joany on Sat May 31, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#46 Post by eemaestro » Sat May 31, 2014 5:50 pm

<In other words, Kate is running but it doesn't display a window?>

Correct! I forgot to save the text to a file before I lost its viewport. (This is why I plan to reinstall MEPIS after I back up my user files.)

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#47 Post by joany » Sat May 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Oops! You responded while I was editing my previous post (see the above concerning wmctrl).

EDIT:

Another thought: Is it possible you minimized Kate and don't have a task manager in the panel? If so, then add the task manger widget to the panel, and maybe Kate will be there.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#48 Post by eemaestro » Sat May 31, 2014 7:57 pm

joany wrote: Another thought: Is it possible you minimized Kate and don't have a task manager in the panel? If so, then add the task manger widget to the panel, and maybe Kate will be there.
YES! That did it! Thank you so much, joany.
Now maybe I will remembr what "task manager" is! It's the set of taskbar icons that appears on the taskbar associated with currently running instances of KDE applications. Thank you for pointing that out. And I got my letter back so I didn't have to rewrite it. :cool:

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#49 Post by eemaestro » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Okay, I backed up my user's files to three different media, two 8 GB USB zip drives and a 1TB external hard drive.
This took quite awhile because I had to write and test rsync scripts, and look up how to deal with spaces in the device names under /mnt when I connected removeable media to my USB port(s). Holy backslash, Batman! *50 Then I randomly chose three files which I had updated in the past two months, and verified that the copies on external media matched the ones from which they were copied on the hard drive. So I feel confident enough to reinstall MEPIS12 from the liveDVD tomorrow.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#50 Post by eemaestro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:44 pm

After backing up my user files one last time this morning, to the external hard drive and to the two 8GB USB zip drives, I reinstalled MEPIS12 from the liveDVD. The reinstallation took less than 53 minutes.

Konsole has a working history now in my default user account! I had checked the Yes button during installation to save the /home/user files. I see that on my main user account .kde and .kdebak still exist. " du -ch" shows each contains 1.9GB of files. So I will probably just delete the .kdebak directory after a period of two weeks, just to make sure I didn't leave something important there. My other /home/user accounts still exist. I haven't checked their filesystems thoroughly yet.

Sound doesn't work yet. I will see about fixing it. After an evaluation period, I will report back if I have solved all issues or if I need help. I expect this to take somewhere between 24 and 72 hours.

Return to “KDE”