-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
Richard

Re: mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

#31 Post by Richard » Thu May 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Pardon me if I've overlooked something.

I think you might save yourself a lot of work
if you backed up all data
and install MX-14.
Get it up-to-date,
then install Kde, if that's your preference,
as explained here:
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 93&t=36276

It won't look the same, nor as nice as the Mepis version,
but it will give you a stable, Kde base to work on.

I think you were working toward something similar,
but trying to solve all these problems
is distinct to your intended goal.
MX171 on Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119GB SSD
MX171 on AA1(ZG5) & EeePC-1005ha: Dual Core N270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150GB HDD
DC9, LibO61, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. __ Linux Counter #208633

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#32 Post by eemaestro » Thu May 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Yes. EUREKA! That was it. I went back into Kuser. There I found an "Edit user" function, which I invoked. Then I clicked on one of the new user names, and up came a User Properties dialog box. The entry corresponding to the text input box Login shell: was by default marked <Empty>. I changed it using a text selector tool to /bin/bash. I logged out, then logged back in. This set the user shell to BASH, and now I have the BASH history working fine. Great! I probably should have noticed that yesterday when I type echo $SHELL and got nothing.

Now about the login dialog box: Does anybody know how to modify this part of KDE to NOT display the <Full name> field, just the <User login> field, that is, user name? It now displays both. I could delete text from the <Full name> field using Kuser, but there should be a way to simply not display the full name.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#33 Post by eemaestro » Thu May 29, 2014 3:22 pm

UPDATE:
Something is seriously wrong with KDE. I just went to a Konsole window after logging into my user account.
No $ prompt. No response at all. Now I've really broken it. But I don't know how. Should I have just hung back and waited for somebody to warn me not to use Kuser to modify user accounts?

I am typing this in the demo account of the Mepis12 liveDVD. I just went from being happy with having fixed an annoying problem withe KDE to being compeletely distraught with MEPIS 12 and KDE.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#34 Post by joany » Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't usually counsel people in this way, but it looks like a reinstallation is in order. It seems you've tried every known trick besides that. The time spent trying to fix the damage will far exceed the time it will take to install and configure a new system. Needless to say, any data you've saved in your /home directory needs to be saved first. Going forward, making a complete system backup on a regular basis will greatly mitigate mistakes.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#35 Post by eemaestro » Thu May 29, 2014 9:16 pm

As much as I loathe putting on my system administrator hat, I think you might be right that a reinstall is in order.
In a konsole window, I discovered the number of bash instances is far greater than the number of konsole sessions:

Code: Select all

$ ps -A | grep bash | wc -l
$ ps -A | grep konsole | wc -l
And guess what ? The number of bash instances seems to keep increasing without bound until I have to reboot.
At least, it seemed that way earlier today. Right now, the number isn't increasing.

When installing MEPIS 12 from the liveDVD, is there an option to retain existing user files in /home/billy, /home/jon, /home/susan, and so on? Do you remember what it is called?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by joany » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am

eemaestro wrote: When installing MEPIS 12 from the liveDVD, is there an option to retain existing user files in /home/billy, /home/jon, /home/susan, and so on? Do you remember what it is called?
You can choose the option of preserving /home. However, that means preserving the entire /home directory, including all of the corrupted files that are causing your current problems. Since preserving /home wouldn't do you any good, you should choose the option of overwriting /home, which unfortunately will wipe all of your user accounts (billy, jon, susan, etc.) off the HDD.

If you can connect an external HDD to your computer, then you should copy all your user-generated data (documents, photos, music and video files, etc.) over to the external for backup. Alternatively, you could copy the data onto one or more flash drives or copy it to CDs or DVD disks. After all your data is backed up, install M12 and overwrite the entire /home directory.

Since it seems you have multiple user accounts, it's even more important to do periodic backups of all your system files and data. You can purchase a 1TB USB-connected external HDD for well under $100. The advantage of an external HDD is that it won't be affected if your internal HDD poops out, or suffer damage from a power supply failure, and it can be kept in a safe place to guard against theft, fire, water damage, etc. The disadvantage of an external drive is that transferring massive amounts of data through a USB port is slow.

If an external HDD is too expensive and if there's enough free space on your internal HDD, then you should create a backup partition for saving backups of your / partition and your user accounts. Imaging software can crunch the used space in your / and /home partitions down to a size that will fit inside a relatively small partition.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by kmathern » Fri May 30, 2014 9:23 am

joany wrote:
eemaestro wrote: When installing MEPIS 12 from the liveDVD, is there an option to retain existing user files in /home/billy, /home/jon, /home/susan, and so on? Do you remember what it is called?
You can choose the option of preserving /home. However, that means preserving the entire /home directory, including all of the corrupted files that are causing your current problems. Since preserving /home wouldn't do you any good, you should choose the option of overwriting /home, which unfortunately will wipe all of your user accounts (billy, jon, susan, etc.) off the HDD. ...
@eemaestro,
Do you have the same problem with all of the /home user accounts, or just with your /home/jon account? If it's just /home/jon you could rename it to say /home/jonbackup (while in the M12 LiveDVD session -- and before doing the reinstall). Reinstall M12 using the preserve /home option, having it create a new /home/jon account (which I'm assuming is your primary non-root user). When back in the reinstalled M12 you can copy or move things back into your /home/jon account from /home/jonbackup. The other /home accounts (/home/billy, /home/susan, ...) will remain as they were before the reinstall.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#38 Post by joany » Fri May 30, 2014 10:16 am

kmathern wrote: @eemaestro,
Do you have the same problem with all of the /home user accounts, or just with your /home/jon account? If it's just /home/jon you could rename it to say /home/jonbackup (while in the M12 LiveDVD session -- and before doing the reinstall). Reinstall M12 using the preserve /home option, having it create a new /home/jon account (which I'm assuming is your primary non-root user). When back in the reinstalled M12 you can copy or move things back into your /home/jon account from /home/jonbackup. The other /home accounts (/home/billy, /home/susan, ...) will remain as they were before the reinstall.
If the OP is having problems with /home/jon and not the others, wouldn't backing up /home/jon simply back up whatever corrupted files are causing the problem in the first place? But if /home/billy, /home/susan ... are indeed working properly and /home/jon isn't, then it might be worthwhile to preserve /home and then remove /home/jon.

I'll go over this thread again, but I think the OP created new user accounts, had partial success, and then ran into further problems:
eemaestro wrote: Wouldn't it be easier just to log in as root, and then create a new username/password/KDE account, and then do the <Alt><SysRq> REISUB ?
eemaestro wrote: ... I created additional user acounts. So next I plan to reboot & login to the new account see if I can get back to a "default" KDE session. Never tried this before either. Wish me luck.
eemaestro wrote: I looged in as user with a new "clean KDE session" YAY!!!! Success!!!
eemaestro wrote: SHELL still undefined. history still not working
So it seems the problem might either involve the user accounts and /(root), or it's possible that it only involves /(root). If it's the latter case, then it certainly wouldn't do any harm to install M12 while preserving /home. If that fails, then the OP could fall back to installing M12 and wiping /home.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by kmathern » Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 pm

joany wrote:
kmathern wrote: @eemaestro,
If the OP is having problems with /home/jon and not the others, wouldn't backing up /home/jon simply back up whatever corrupted files are causing the problem in the first place? But if /home/billy, /home/susan ... are indeed working properly and /home/jon isn't, then it might be worthwhile to preserve /home and then remove /home/jon. ...
Well yes the corrupted files would still be in /home/jonbackup, but they would stay there. The fresh /home/jon would be working as it does with a new install. What you would copy or move from /home/jonbackup/ to /home/jon/ would be user generated data, i.e. .mozilla, .thunderbird, libreoffice, etc. . I wouldn't copy or move over from /home/jonbackup it's .kde, .config, .local folders, or the .bash* files.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#40 Post by eemaestro » Fri May 30, 2014 1:25 pm

joany,

Thank you for your advice. I just logged into a different user account on my /home and restored three randomly-selected files from my USB zip drive. They are readable. That's good. I will get two different physical media, the USB-connected external HDD you suggested, and another USB zip drive. I will feel better having two extra copies on different physical media.

kmathern,
Am in the process of seeing if the same KDE problem exists in the different user accounts. Looks like maybe the problem is gone:

Code: Select all

$  ps -A | grep bash | wc -l
$  ps -A | grep konsole | wc -l                 
Thanks for your input. I like your idea of using /home/jon/ as a temporary repository from which to retrieve user files (and NOT dot files) rather than as a working KDE login account. That might be the option for me. Just never log into the mucked-up /home/jon user account, wiat six months until I get the old user files copied, then delete that user account.

First I must see I can get sound working on these other user accounts. Last time I checked, it didn't work. I looked in my log. I think I forgot to write down what I did in the past to get sound working in browsers.

UPDATE:

Yes, I found Stevo's sound fix, made a note of it in my journal, and updated the new user account. However, the new user account still doesn't have BASH history working, so I plan to reinstall after getting two new physical media and backing up my /home/jon files.

Return to “KDE”