-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: mucked up KDE 4.8.4 again in MEPIS 12 64 bit

#11 Post by eemaestro » Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 pm

I see. Thank you, joany, for explaining that simply.
Wouldn't it be easier just to log in as root, and then create a new username/password/KDE account, and then do the <Alt><SysRq> REISUB ? Isn't there stored somewhere in the system files a set of attributes to use as a skeleton for a new user KDE account ?

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by eemaestro » Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 pm

What about kuser (User Manager)? Is there something in there that I can use to undo KDE settings. Am searching right now...

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by joany » Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm

eemaestro wrote:I see. Thank you, joany, for explaining that simply.
Wouldn't it be easier just to log in as root, and then create a new username/password/KDE account, and then do the <Alt><SysRq> REISUB ? Isn't there stored somewhere in the system files a set of attributes to use as a skeleton for a new user KDE account ?
I've never done that, but it sounds reasonable.

AFAIK, kuser is for changing user passwords and assigning user groups. I don't think you can configure KDE with it.

EDIT:

One other thing. When copying a .kde folder from one place to the /home directory, make sure the R/W permissions are set for the user. This may require you to boot into the system as root (generally not a good idea) and setting the permissions.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by eemaestro » Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Okay, got files backed up from my /home/ directory on my hard drive to a USB zip drive. I don't know if I can manipulate files on the hard drive when I boot MEPIS from the Live DVD. Never tried that. But I created additional user acounts. So next I plan to reboot & login to the new account see if I can get back to a "default" KDE session. Never tried this before either. Wish me luck.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by joany » Sat May 24, 2014 6:46 pm

eemaestro wrote:Okay, got files backed up from my /home/ directory on my hard drive to a USB zip drive. I don't know if I can manipulate files on the hard drive when I boot MEPIS from the Live DVD. Never tried that.
It's easy just launch "Dolphin as su" (I believe Warren put in the M12 panel) and your HDD partitions should be visible. If /home isn't mounted, you'll need to mount it. Once mounted, you can use Dolphin to copy directories from the DVD over to /home/username using drag 'n drop --> copy.
eemaestro wrote:But I created additional user acounts. So next I plan to reboot & login to the new account see if I can get back to a "default" KDE session. Never tried this before either. Wish me luck.
That should have worked and you should have a clean KDE session by logging in as the new user. But if it didn't work, you could always try copying the /home/demo/.kde folder from the Live DVD file system over to your /home/username directory on the HDD.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by eemaestro » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

joany wrote: That should have worked and you should have a clean KDE session by logging in as the new user. But if it didn't work, you could always try copying the /home/demo/.kde folder from the Live DVD file system over to your /home/username directory on the HDD.
Okay, I logged in as user and copied my /home/jon/.kde to /home/jon/.kdebak according to your suggestion, joany.
I logged into Konsole as superuser and copied ./kde from a new user account /home/username/.kde
That restored to my account a "clean KDE session". I will keep the .kdebak for a week, then discard it.
Oh, one more thing.....I had mucked up KDE so bad <Alt><Sysrq> REISUB didn't do anything. I logged in as superuser and did #shutdown -r 1
After that, I looged in as user with a new "clean KDE session" YAY!!!! Success!!! I didn't even have to use the
liveCD, even though it is still in my CDROM machine.
Thank you for guiding me to success, joany. Now I have the ability to logout as well as login, and switch between all running instances of KDE application programs. I think this is called the KDE Plasma user interface, isn't it?I will find out later if the REISUB sequence works.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by joany » Sun May 25, 2014 2:03 pm

That's great. What does the desktop look like with your new profile? Is it similar to the old one?
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by kmathern » Sun May 25, 2014 2:28 pm

eemaestro wrote:...Oh, one more thing.....I had mucked up KDE so bad <Alt><Sysrq> REISUB didn't do anything. I logged in as superuser and did #shutdown -r 1
....I will find out later if the REISUB sequence works.
Which Alt key are you using when typing in REISUB? On my systems I've found that REISUB only works with the left Alt key.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by eemaestro » Sun May 25, 2014 10:44 pm

I don't remember which Alt key I used. I will try both left and right ones when the time comes to use that sequence again. Thanks for the heads up.

Next I will try to remember what I did to make my windows look like the Plastik ones from MEPIS 8. After that, I will change the desktop to the one I had before.

Then I will see if I wrote down the changes I had to make in order to make:
(1) BASH history display to work.
(2) BASH to incorporate the relative pathname into the command prompt.
(3) KWin to incorporate the calendar into the binary clock on the taskbar.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#20 Post by eemaestro » Mon May 26, 2014 2:47 pm

For some unknown reason, I am still not getting taskbar icons corresponding to instances of open KDE applications or Konsole CLI sessions.

Return to “KDE”