-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

KDE 4.8.4 - goes berserk yet again

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: KDE 4.8.4 - goes berserk yet again

#11 Post by lucky9 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

I'll fire them up and see where I messed up. I think I used HandBrake correctly. But I didn't check the file to see if it played. It took a very long time to process the DVD.
I'm certain I did everything in DeVeDe, but I can't remember whether I used the Create and ISO. I think I did but I'll run another DVD through and see if I did miss something. NTSC was easy to remember as was the size limit.

Thanks joany.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Chavoux
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Post by Chavoux » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi eemaestro

I have the same issue. Also Mepis 11 64bit with KDE 4.8.4 on an Acer Aspire 5742.
eemaestro wrote:It's not every day. Last night I shut down KDE successfully. I just logged out an hour or so ago, normally, then logged back in now. All successfully.

So I am going out on a limb and guessing the sporadic misbehavior is (A) when I am running too many processes from my KDE desktop or (B) have left open applications with unsaved data, or a combination of A and B.
I thought it might have to do with whether I am connected to a network or not, since I almost always have the same 3 programs open when I shutdown (Bibletime, Zim desktop wiki and Yakuake terminal running screen). :confused:
And when I boot Mepis without any network connection, it takes at least twice as long to start up (setting up network interfaces). And sometimes KDE starts and reloads the programs that was open when I shut down/logged out the previous time and sometimes it starts with no open programs.

What I normally do in these circumstances, is to use Ctr-Alt-Backspace to halt the current KDE session and then to shutdown/restart from the KDM login screen.

I have also seen that sometimes there is no reaction in KDE after the laptop
awake from sleep mode. Switching to a Console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and then back to the GUI (Ctr-Alt-F7) normally fixes this.

Regards
Chavoux

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by eemaestro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:46 pm

What's wrong with K3b ?

Return to “KDE”