-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

KDE 4.8.4 - goes berserk yet again

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

KDE 4.8.4 - goes berserk yet again

#1 Post by eemaestro » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Every day it seems either Leave, Log out, or Shut down, or Restart
fails. No response, no error message, even after I go and shut down open application
programs with unsaved data. Then I usually resort to <Alt><SysRq>REISUB<Alt><SysRq> and click the CPU power switch during BIOS initialization. This is using 64bit MEPIS 12.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: KDE 4.8.4 - goes berserk yet again

#2 Post by eemaestro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:25 pm

It's not every day. Last night I shut down KDE successfully. I just logged out an hour or so ago, normally, then logged back in now. All successfully.

So I am going out on a limb and guessing the sporadic misbehavior is (A) when I am running too many processes from my KDE desktop or (B) have left open applications with unsaved data, or a combination of A and B.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by joany » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:37 pm

eemaestro wrote:It's not every day. Last night I shut down KDE successfully. I just logged out an hour or so ago, normally, then logged back in now. All successfully.

So I am going out on a limb and guessing the sporadic misbehavior is (A) when I am running too many processes from my KDE desktop or (B) have left open applications with unsaved data, or a combination of A and B.
A couple of observations FWIW:

1) You're using a beta version of MEPIS. I know that Warren's betas are better than a lot of finals, but the version you are using may not be completely bug-free.

2) You're using a 64-bit kernel. Back in the MEPIS 8 era, I installed the 64-bit version and found it to be somewhat less stable than I liked (some system crashes, frozen apps, etc.). I installed SM 8.0 32-bit and it was as stable as a rock.

If you enjoy KDE (as I do), may I humbly suggest installing MX-14 and adding KDE to it? That's my current production OS, and it's very stable and incredibly fast. It uses a very recent 32-bit pae kernel. IMO, there are few advantages of 64-bit over 32-bit pae, unless you're running some really heavy-duty apps that require the high throughput of a 64-bit processor. Memorywise, the pae kernel can access up to 64 GB of RAM, which is more than adequate.

Just my 2¢.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by lucky9 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:41 pm

64 bit used to have some problems. Not any more. And it is noticeably faster when making a backup of a DVD with K9Copy or converting/transcribing any large file. If you don't do much of that sort of thing then you'll barely notice a difference. K9Copy completes in close to half the time using 64 bit. About 60%.
Unless needed for compatibility I recommend 64 bit operating systems.

But if you need 32 bit as I do for my single-core Atom Netbook it runs great. I'll probably be using MX14 as the default on it. Currently antiX is my default. I'll keep antiX 13.x as it has been a great working OS for the little Acer.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by joany » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm

lucky9 wrote:64 bit used to have some problems. Not any more. And it is noticeably faster when making a backup of a DVD with K9Copy or converting/transcribing any large file. If you don't do much of that sort of thing then you'll barely notice a difference. K9Copy completes in close to half the time using 64 bit. About 60%.
Unless needed for compatibility I recommend 64 bit operating systems.

But if you need 32 bit as I do for my single-core Atom Netbook it runs great. I'll probably be using MX14 as the default on it. Currently antiX is my default. I'll keep antiX 13.x as it has been a great working OS for the little Acer.
Just a note: k9copy is no longer in the repositories. My workaround is Handbrake > DeVeDe.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by lucky9 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 pm

I know but I'll be keeping Mepis 11. If necessary even after they stop putting out security updates. It doesn't have to see the Internet since it might be vulnerable. (By the way they are still supporting Squeeze without changing the repositories.)

Do you have a Howto for using Handbrake and DeVeDe? (My first attempt made the first coaster I've had in years.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by eemaestro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm

lucky9 wrote: Do you have a Howto for using Handbrake and DeVeDe? (My first attempt made the first coaster I've had in years.)
No, but would love to see anything helpful pertaining to DVDs in linux. This is a new medium for me, and I'd like to know what is possible and what isn't.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:19 pm

I use Devede for transcoding video to the DVD format--I'm using the latest version from deb-multimedia, but that is a pure python program so won't pull in wacky versions of ffmpeg--though it's super easy to backport, so I'll do the Jessie version, because it adds some nice new features.

Once I have the videos transcoded, putting a DVD menu and titles together is sort of fun using DVD Styler, since you can drag and drop elements around.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by eemaestro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Stevo wrote:I use Devede for transcoding video to the DVD format. . .
By this do you mean write a DVD using a set of youtube videos that will play back in a DVD player that is not connected to a computer?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by joany » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 pm

lucky9 wrote: Do you have a Howto for using Handbrake and DeVeDe? (My first attempt made the first coaster I've had in years.)
In DeVeDe, make sure you have NTSC checked. The default is PAL, but that format won't play on US players.

Here's what to do:

Use HandBrake to rip the DVD into an .mp4 file. Verify that the .mp4 file is good by playing it in Kaffeine or other player.

Launch DeVeDe (making sure NTSC is checked), and give your DVD a title in the left-hand pane. Then move to the right-hand pane and click Add. Select the .mp4 file from a built-in file manager. Under Advanced Options, select Create an ISO ready to burn to a disk, supplying a path for the .iso. Under Disk usage, make sure you stay under 4.7GB (DeVeDe will compress the video to fit). Click Forward. When the .iso is ready, use your favorite burning tool to make a playable disk.

The neat thing about DeVeDe is you can put multiple videos on the same disk and access them through the menu.

HINT:

To avoid burning coasters, you can use Kaffeine to play the .iso directly. That way you know the .iso is good.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Return to “KDE”