-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

"Updates" to KDE 4.8.4

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

"Updates" to KDE 4.8.4

#1 Post by eemaestro » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Whenever I log into my MEPIS 12 KDE 4.8.4 Desktop, I get the message

Code: Select all

"You have 20 updates available."
What does this mean?
Is there something I am supposed to do ?

richb
Administrator

Re: "Updates" to KDE 4.8.4

#2 Post by richb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:30 pm

eemaestro wrote:Whenever I log into my MEPIS 12 KDE 4.8.4 Desktop, I get the message

Code: Select all

"You have 20 updates available."
What does this mean?
Is there something I am supposed to do ?
Open Synaptic
Reload
Mark all upgrades
apply
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Well, as we saw with the wheezy-backports udev debacle, maybe

"glance over the list of updates, hit Apply, and check to see if anything is going to be removed. If you aren't sure if you agree with what's going to happen, cancel the upgrades and ask about them on the forum first."

would be better advice. :crossfingers:

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by eemaestro » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Okay, I took your advice, richb. The 91 MB downloaded to my computer changed a lot of libraries. This was the first time I used Synaptic Package Manager. I'd always used APT before.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by lucky9 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Synaptic uses APT. That said, if asked during either APT or Synaptic's installation, it's safer to keep the old configurations. You can easily open a program and see if there are new features that you want to enable.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by eemaestro » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:40 pm

lucky9 wrote:Synaptic uses APT. That said, if asked during either APT or Synaptic's installation, it's safer to keep the old configurations. You can easily open a program and see if there are new features that you want to enable.
I was not asked.
I am not sure what you mean by your last sentence, or even by "a program". Please explain. I think by "the old configurations" you mean not upgrading from an old version of an application program to a newer version of that same application. Am I wrong?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by lucky9 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm saying that when Synaptic or APT is installing a program it will ask if you want to keep the old configuration (the default), or accept the maintainer's new configuration. You should accept the default most of the time. After the installation is complete you can open the program (any program, audacious for instance) and configure it if there are any new options available.

So, yes, I did not make it clear enough. Except you do know what a program (or application if you prefer) is. And a new version of a program may have new things (such as additional features) that can be configured. Not always. But it can happen.

I apologize for the confusion.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:21 pm

And one additional clarification. It will only ask if the program maintainer has changed a configuration file. This is not done that often and mostly for system files. So it is not surprising that you were not asked.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “KDE”