-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Discordant note on KDE 4.8.4 logout MEPIS12

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Discordant note on KDE 4.8.4 logout MEPIS12

#1 Post by eemaestro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm

KDE Black Screen of Death
When I log out (Application Launcher Menu....Leave.....Logout), the computer sounds a discordant note, and then the screen goes black. It stays black for three minutes. I get tired of waiting for the KDE login dialog, and reboot.
Anybody have this problem, or know where to look for any error message(s)? Do I need to kill open applications before logging out?

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Discordant note on KDE 4.8.4 logout MEPIS12

#2 Post by DBeckett » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 pm

eemaestro wrote:KDE Black Screen of Death
When I log out (Application Launcher Menu....Leave.....Logout), the computer sounds a discordant note, and then the screen goes black. It stays black for three minutes. I get tired of waiting for the KDE login dialog, and reboot.
Anybody have this problem, or know where to look for any error message(s)? Do I need to kill open applications before logging out?
Try this. it works for me on several distros to solve that same issue.

Find /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc. Edit as root, find this stanza, and add the bold line. Reboot.
[X-:*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowShutdown=All
NoPassEnable=false
NoPassUsers=
ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X
TerminateServer=true
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by eemaestro » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 am

I found the [X-:*-Core] stanza in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and added the TerminateServer line you suggested, as superuser. Then I logged out. It did not fix the problem. So I rebooted.

Next I changed ServerArgsLocal to what you suggested. (from ServerArgsLocal=-dpi 96 -nolisten tcp) Then I logged out. (The NoPassEnable and NoPassUsers were already set the way you suggested.)I got the same discordant note. But instead of a black screen of death (BSOD), I got a login dialog box. I logged back in. YAY! Problem fixed. This stuff is all greek to me, so am so happy you shared your fix, DBeckett. Thank you.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by DBeckett » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Great. I always love a happy ending.

As for the discordant note....
You can change that to something else or eliminate it altogether. Go to
System Settings -> Application and System Notifications and then choose KDE Workspace from the Event Source dropdown. You can change the sound for logout, or disable it if you like.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by eemaestro » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Me too! The happy ending is thanks to you, DBeckett.
Okay, I looked in the KDE Workspace menu you mentioned. I poked around and discovered the discordant note I didn't like is /usr/share/sounds/KDE-Sys-Log-Out.ogg. I listened to some other sounds and selected KDE-Im-Sms.ogg because that one most sounded like,
"Good night, Sir! Sweet dreams until I have the pleasure of serving you again." spoken in a polite and cheery tone.

Return to “KDE”