-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

KDE basics

Here is where all questions and discussions about KDE should go.
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: KDE basics

#11 Post by malspa » Mon May 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Topher wrote:This is another good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dohhz91OTPY
Thanks, folks. Those are two good videos.

I had never tried changing the animation speed before (System Settings > Desktop Effects > General tab).

Also, I agree with the narrator in the second video about using different widgets for each desktop instead of using "Activities." I've never warmed to up the whole "Activities" thing.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by lucky9 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Activities would help me more if I worked in a more complex environment. I keep it simple so they're more likely to get in the way than help.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Adrian » Mon May 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Activities can be useful, you can set up: Work, Home, Research, Games activities for example and each can have its own widgets, links and look, they are not supposed to be used as or as a replacement of multiple desktops (workspaces).

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by malspa » Mon May 26, 2014 11:08 pm

lucky9 wrote:Activities would help me more if I worked in a more complex environment. I keep it simple so they're more likely to get in the way than help.
Maybe that's why I've never been all that interested in using Activities. I like to keep things simple, too.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by lucky9 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 am

Adrian wrote:Activities can be useful, you can set up: Work, Home, Research, Games activities for example and each can have its own widgets, links and look, they are not supposed to be used as or as a replacement of multiple desktops (workspaces).
I do see what you mean Adrian. If I did anything in addition to what I do on my computer, I might use Activities. But my needs are so simple it would be more complex than it's worth. If I ever decide to code for instance I can see having an Activity for that. I'm not saying Activities aren't useful in many situations. They would be. For instance I don't burn a lot of optical disks. So I'm not going to setup an Activity for burning. Nor would I for ripping a DVD. Just don't do enough of that activity to bother setting up an Activity.

Strangely enough I'm glad to have the functionality of Activities. If I ever do see a need I'll be happier that it's there.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by uncle mark » Tue May 27, 2014 9:12 am

malspa wrote:
lucky9 wrote:Activities would help me more if I worked in a more complex environment. I keep it simple so they're more likely to get in the way than help.
Maybe that's why I've never been all that interested in using Activities. I like to keep things simple, too.
Heck, I can't even deal with multiple Desktops. The closest thing I get to that kind of "multitasking" is using dual monitors with a single spanned Desktop so I can have several open windows in front of me at once.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by lucky9 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 am

In my Mepis 11 installation I have 6 desktops. I frequently use 4 at a time. Occasionally 5, once in a while all 6. I've never needed more. It simply saves opening and closing something, I simply switch to a different desktop rather than minimize.
--Mark Twain

Return to “KDE”