-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX Software inclusion

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
richb
Administrator

Re: MX Software inclusion

#31 Post by richb » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm

I like the model we have. If users are conservative they do not have to install from the test repo. I use it quite frequently. Packages are not move to main unless tested by users. The recent issues with Gimp are an anomaly. The track record has been good. Those that for some reason do not want a newer version can pin the current version with Synaptic, or an apt command when it is transferred to main.

Or, I think as has been suggested, just leave them in the test repo and rename it with appropriate nomenclature.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

MisterZ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#32 Post by MisterZ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 pm

This is a very excellent, informative, and instructional discussion with many appreciative thanks to all who have joined in ... cleared up all my questions and concerns ... Devs and Admins stopping in for a visit with a lot of succinct and educational explanations! Great folks at MX!

One last comment from me regarding the use of PPAs ... there is, to my knowledge, ONE and ONLY ONE that can be added to Synaptic without a hitch. That is the one from https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories for updated versions of audio-production software. From the developer's website:
All Debian and Ubuntu users can enable our repositories by installing this deb file: kxstudio-repos.deb. If you're using a system newer or equal to Debian 9 (Stretch) or Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) you'll also need to enable GCC5 packages. You can do so by installing this deb file - kxstudio-repos-gcc5.deb
I highly recommend it as an option for audio-production-based users. Coupled with the Liquorix kernel from the stable MX Package Installer, adding your favorite video editor, installing Audacity from MX Testing (yep, you heard me right!) and you'll have yourselves one killer multimedia production system. Stevo's work on the Liquorix kernel is a gem ... it's the first time I've never had a problem in any distro using Liquorix! It eliminates annoying problems present in the stock kernels such as e.g., fluctuating volumes in your default usb mic/camera input settings when going from one audio-based app (such as a multimedia player) to the ones you want to record into. Better than any low-latency or RT kernel out there in the Linux world thanks to Liquorix and MX. (Been reading the dev-exchanges between the two Steves, fascinating stuff if you can follow! https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2615.html)

Finally, as I have had positive responses for a post-installation language set-up tool, I'd invite anyone out there reading this post to give the idea a thumbs-up vote if you would like to see this happen!

Bye for now ...

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Post by asqwerth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 pm

I seem to recall someone asking for help and having problems, and he had kxstudio repo enabled.....
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

MisterZ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#34 Post by MisterZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 am

Hello asqwerth

No problems at all ... the developer is not 'buntu-centric ... everything works flawlessly if you follow the instructions on the website I provided ... been using it since MX-16 to the present 17.1. There was a server problem about a year ago that stalled some updates but was fixed shortly by linuxaudio.org. Stuff happens, as you know ... when I was still on MX-16, a kernel update brought in and installed an old source.list file along with it. Gave me a big headache until richb finally diagnosed the gaffe and got me to remove it ... woulda never thought to check in /etc/apt/ myself!
A similar thing occurred with linuxaudio.org. They cleaned things up pretty handily ... the developer of kxstudio (falkTX) is the "Stevo" of Linux audio apps!

Cheers!

MisterZ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#35 Post by MisterZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:51 am

Getting late ... just to make it clear about kxstudio repos ... obviously you need some prior knowledge regarding the apps you would need and their function (a bit of a niche market --- if you will) ... once the repo is installed no prob getting the latest. However, if you don't know what's-what then you could certainly ask me anything regarding audio-production on Linux ... be happy to help. This is straying a bit off-topic, my point only being that the repo is compatible with Debian Stretch, therefore MX-16+. No need to run after "specialty" Distros for multimedia creation, even though some great ones exist ... Simply MX and the right apps!

I'm considering creating a tutorial regarding an audio/multimedia production setup for MX shortly, so I urge all to hang in there until I post it (a new Topic, of course).

G'nite all

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by asqwerth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 am

MisterZ wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:51 am
... my point only being that the repo is compatible with Debian Stretch, therefore MX-16+....

I'm considering creating a tutorial regarding an audio/multimedia production setup for MX shortly, so I urge all to hang in there until I post it (a new Topic, of course).

G'nite all
Cool! Looking forward to that even though I can't say I actually use multimedia production /creation programs except audacity or sound converter.

But just a note that MX16 is Debian Jessie.

Debian stretch is for MX17.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by asqwerth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 am

richb wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm
I like the model we have. If users are conservative they do not have to install from the test repo. I use it quite frequently. Packages are not move to main unless tested by users. The recent issues with Gimp are an anomaly. The track record has been good. Those that for some reason do not want a newer version can pin the current version with Synaptic, or an apt command when it is transferred to main.

Or, I think as has been suggested, just leave them in the test repo and rename it with appropriate nomenclature.
I think dreamer is saying that for those packages in Test Repo that have been cleared as working fine, don't just throw them into the main repo mix where they'll be picked up as a standard update to existing/debian default packages. Have them in a secondary repo users can choose to enable or not.

richb
Administrator

#38 Post by richb » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:17 am

I think dreamer is saying that for those packages in Test Repo that have been cleared as working fine, don't just throw them into the main repo mix where they'll be picked up as a standard update to existing/debian default packages. Have them in a secondary repo users can choose to enable or not.
Worth consideration.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

MisterZ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#39 Post by MisterZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:44 am

@asqwerth
But just a note that MX16 is Debian Jessie. Debian stretch is for MX17.
Have to prioritize clarity before exuberance on my posts! ... stop myself from posting in the wee-hours!

kxstudio repos work with Jessie onwards, therefore both MX-16 and MX-17. For MX-16 (Jessie) you don't need to install the kxstudio-repos-gcc5.deb. For Mx-17 (Stretch), you do ...

Beautiful day here! Gone fishing ...

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by dreamer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 am
Yes. Thanks, asqwerth!

Return to “CR Discussion”