-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Should we still repackage from Debian Backports

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Should we still repackage from Debian Backports

#1 Post by v3g4n » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 am

Since we now have the new Debian Backports Installer, I was curious to know everyone's thoughts on whether or not we should continue to rebuild packages from Debian backports? Is there a benefit benefit to having them in our repo since they typically would go straight into the test repo and one would have to use the Test Repo Installer to access them anyways? Has anyone run into problems installing packages from Backports? I don't mind either way, just thought if the consensus is that there is no major benefit then the time of packagers could be used to port from Stretch/Sid or packages that aren't available in Debian at all.
Thanks!

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Should we still repackage from Debian Backports

#2 Post by Adrian » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 am

Do we need to repackage them or just test and move them to MX repos?

People will not be very confident to install stuff from Backports, also the Backports repo doesn't remain enabled so they won't get updates for the packages they install from Backports, it's more convenient to install them from a repo that is always enabled.

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by v3g4n » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:05 am

I guess the benefit would be that Tim does go through the test repo list and move some to main when ready which could benefit the next release.

Edit: looks like Tim just found an example of a package that may require us to port ourselves. It seems possible that we could run into some issues with certain packages installing straight from backports.
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 57#p391457

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:23 am

Edit: looks like Tim just found an example of a package that may require us to port ourselves. It seems possible that we could run into some issues with certain packages installing straight from backports.
This makes me realize that the warning that I adapted from Debian's is absent from the new DBI as well as its Help file. Does that need to be restored somehow?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by m_pav » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Funny, as I was reading through this post, the first thing that sprang to mind was systemd vs sysvinit posing as a real problem, then I read the post linked above. My thoughts are if we're going to have MX-16 as a rolling upgrade, that means another 2 years of supporting our current positional default of sysvinit, so pulling straight from Debian backports may produce increasing issues as more packages are built to use the transport mechanisms provided by systemd.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Adrian » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:00 pm

if we're going to have MX-16 as a rolling upgrade, that means another 2 years of supporting our current positional default of sysvinit
I don't think it follows, the support doesn't extend when we release MX-16, it's the same support we offer for MX-15 that ends when Debian will cease supporting Jessie

Return to “CR Discussion”