-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Packages being worked on by the Repo Team

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
MisterZ

Re: Packages being worked on by the Repo Team

#1121 Post by MisterZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

@ asqwerth
Repos are fine ... no test, backports active ... as I said before, I manually deactivated the test repo in Synaptic ... everything's cool! Thanks

@ Stevo
Thanks Stevo ... here is a screenshot of what installing Audacity (Test) asks me to do ...
Screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#1122 Post by Stevo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:47 pm

I built Audacity 2.3.0 on vanilla Stretch and Jessie platforms, so hopefully those package removals won't be an issue now. MX 15's still building, but I already built and installed the MX 17 packages as a test.

Hmmm--MX 15 builds failed with some sort of ffmpeg-related error, so I'll now try adding the main MX 15 repo with its newer ffmpeg to the pbuilder build setup to see if that works-- it just takes a few seconds to do that.
Update: that solved the MX 15 build problem; packages should be in the test repo pretty soon.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#1123 Post by Stevo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Gnucash and gnucash-docs 3.3 from Debian Sid. Builds only succeed with guile-2.2 and not the listed alternative guile-2.0, so I removed any mention of guile-2.0 from debian/control.

MisterZ

#1124 Post by MisterZ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 pm

@Stevo
Congrats on Audacity 2.3.0 (Test) ... works a charm! it's the only app I install from Testing. MX-17 stable coupled with KXStudio Repos (with his wine-rt version installed), the Liquorix kernel, and Reaper DAW (under KX's wine) turns this distro into a mean mulimedia creation machine! Not even the need for a respin nor using a specialized distro ... everything just works! Over the last 10 years i've cherry-picked (trial and error) the best Linux apps I couild find that are stable enough to accommodate the needs of audio/visual artists. Outside of what MX offers, I use AppImages or portables (Avidemux, Giada, Krita, Shotcut, SynfigStudio) to fill in the gaps. Presently, i give courses with respect to app workflows to artists and musicians in my local area and, with my setup, MX is the distro of choice!

The ONLY hiccup that I've seen over the years is Pulseaudio working seemlessly with Alsa under Jack (QjackCtl), specifically pulseaudio-module-jack. It simply doesn't maintain it's connectivity function consistently, So, for example, if you are using an audio player or other audio-related app, and then when you need to invoke Jack (QjackCtl) for a specific Jack-related app , the audio sinks are not always there ... after a reboot, everything gets re-aligned ... happens frequently ... pulseaudio-module-jack problem as i see it. I realize this issue is a can-o'-worms but if it could ever get fixed, MX (Linux) would be the cat's meow go-to for any serious audio/visual work, professional or otherwise ... say bye-bye to that oft-quoted myth about Macs!

I sincerely hope you have an underling to whom you can pass on that incresible build-talent of yours! Thanks again ...

All the best
MisterZ

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#1125 Post by asqwerth » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 am

MisterZ wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 pm
@Stevo
Congrats on Audacity 2.3.0 (Test) ... works a charm! it's the only app I install from Testing. MX-17 stable coupled with KXStudio Repos (with his wine-rt version installed), the Liquorix kernel, and Reaper DAW (under KX's wine) turns this distro into a mean mulimedia creation machine! Not even the need for a respin nor using a specialized distro ... everything just works! Over the last 10 years i've cherry-picked (trial and error) the best Linux apps I couild find that are stable enough to accommodate the needs of audio/visual artists. Outside of what MX offers, I use AppImages or portables (Avidemux, Giada, Krita, Shotcut, SynfigStudio) to fill in the gaps. Presently, i give courses with respect to app workflows to artists and musicians in my local area and, with my setup, MX is the distro of choice!

The ONLY hiccup that I've seen over the years is Pulseaudio working seemlessly with Alsa under Jack (QjackCtl), specifically pulseaudio-module-jack. It simply doesn't maintain it's connectivity function consistently, So, for example, if you are using an audio player or other audio-related app, and then when you need to invoke Jack (QjackCtl) for a specific Jack-related app , the audio sinks are not always there ... after a reboot, everything gets re-aligned ... happens frequently ... pulseaudio-module-jack problem as i see it. I realize this issue is a can-o'-worms but if it could ever get fixed, MX (Linux) would be the cat's meow go-to for any serious audio/visual work, professional or otherwise ... say bye-bye to that oft-quoted myth about Macs!

I sincerely hope you have an underling to whom you can pass on that incresible build-talent of yours! Thanks again ...

All the best
MisterZ
@MisterZ, you might be interested in this thread,
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=46170#p458510

about an unofficial respin called MXStudio by forum member, sunrat.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#1126 Post by Stevo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Firefox 62.0.3 and the associated language packs.

mickish
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#1127 Post by mickish » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 am

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 pm
https://savefrom.net/ Been using this for ages now, still works.
SaveFrom thank you, it works great

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#1128 Post by Stevo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Liqourix kernel 4.18-14 (based off of 4.18.12 kernel)
Clipgrab 3.7.1

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#1129 Post by manyroads » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:48 am

For what it's worth, gnome-activity-journal does not install (17.1)l. I have tried using the deb file for stretch located on debian and it fails on dependencies. I know this is not exactly a repo issue but it is a package I personally like to use as a breadcrumb trail when I'm lost or have lost something. ;) Yes, that's pretty often.
Pax vobiscum,
ManyRoads (Mark Rabideau)
http://many-roads.com
MX-18rc1_x64 Continuum
Platform: Dell Latitude E5470
CPU: Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 8GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130
:bagoverhead:

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#1130 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:10 am

manyroads wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:48 am
For what it's worth, gnome-activity-journal does not install (17.1)l. I have tried using the deb file for stretch located on debian and it fails on dependencies. I know this is not exactly a repo issue but it is a package I personally like to use as a breadcrumb trail when I'm lost or have lost something. ;) Yes, that's pretty often.
That's a jessie based application. I can try to rebuild that for you to run on a stretch base later tonight.
LT: MX17.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 4.16.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64 (64 bit)
DT: Intel(R) Core i5-3.1GHz Kernel~3.9-1-mepis64 x86_64

Return to “CR Discussion”