-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

We should remove the direct download from mepis-deb.org

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

We should remove the direct download from mepis-deb.org

#1 Post by Stevo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:56 pm

I received a PM on the Debian forums that the direct downloading option of deb packages was broken for MX 15, and it currently is. Perhaps no has noticed this because they are adding the repos instead. I also think that the direct downloads could lead to a lot of confusion for new users if they think all of them can be directly installed like some Windows setup.exe file, when instead the clear majority of our CR packages will depend on some other package(s) in the CR, and they may have to chase down a whole string of dependencies. I can think of a few exceptions, but the complexity for most applications would outweigh that.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: We should remove the direct download from mepis-deb.org

#2 Post by timkb4cq » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:07 pm

The direct download pages are generated to comply with the TOS of the hosting provider.
We've had them for at least 5 years without any real problems - probably because we don't really advertise them. Now that I'm aware of the issue I'll fix the script which is generating incorrect links for MX-15.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by kmathern » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Are you talking about downloads from the .deb links like the ones here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/MX14packages.html?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes, that's broken too. I think we should a recommendation that adding the repository is what we recommend in order to avoid tracking down all the possible dependencies manually.

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Yes, that's broken too. I think we should a recommendation that adding the repository is what we recommend in order to avoid tracking down all the possible dependencies manually.
I just posted that link over at palemoon.
LT: MX17.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 4.16.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64 (64 bit)
DT: Intel(R) Core i5-3.1GHz Kernel~3.9-1-mepis64 x86_64

Return to “CR Discussion”