Easy Wifi hotspot

For developer discussion on package requests
imran17

Easy Wifi hotspot

#1 Post by imran17 »

I am using a usb wifi adapter on my desktop . I want it to work as Hotspot. May be there is an option to make hotspot manually but this one not always works. There is no option to manually turn hotspot on.
Therefore i want a debian package software which would offer an option to turn usb wifi device into hotspot without editing network manager etc.
Thank you.

m_pav
Developer

Re: Easy Wifi hotspot

#2 Post by m_pav »

Type ICS into the search box on the top right of this (and every) page and you'll find my thread on Internet Connection Sharing. The instructions are drop dead easy and there's a video link too.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

imran17

#3 Post by imran17 »

Thank you. I have seen your video but you didn’t show making hotspot using usb adapter. I followed the steps you show with a adapter but that's not working perfectly. It often show hotspot. But when i try to connect, phone always shows "obtaining ip address"! It Won't connect.

m_pav
Developer

#4 Post by m_pav »

The process is for Internet Connection Sharing so it doesn't matter what network connection types you use, it will work if the devices are properly configured at the hardware level. USB Wifi devices need a little more consideration and in my experience, sometimes the preconfigured drivers are just simply not enough.

Here' s an example I have worked with, which had the exact same issue you have just described. On a system I was building, I plugged in A TP-Link TL-WN823N USB Wifi adapter (RTL8192eu), checked the Linux kernel had identified it and loaded a driver, which it had, but I did not check it's ability to connect to a wireless access point and sustain a reliable connection, that was my big mistake and I should have known better.

I set it up as a wifi access point and it was broadcasting the signal, but nothing was able to obtain a connection. It was then I remembered I hadn't checked how well the device performed and after doing so, I discovered it acted identically when I tried connecting to 3 different WAP's, basically, it would try to connect then fail 3 times before giving up, even if the WAP was right next to the USB Wifi Adapter. That's when I knew I had a driver issue. I hunted down a driver which I found on github, installed it through NDIS Wrapper, blacklisted the wl driver and rebooted. The USB Wifi Adapter would then connect and sustain a high speed data transfer without issue and I reconfigured it as a HotSpot and it worked flawlessly.

I took a crappy 14 year old Toshiba laptop, booted MX Live, connected to the hotspot and streamed a 1080p video from a source known to use less compression than many other streaming services, so there would be a greater demand on data use. At 55 metres distance, unobstructed line of sight, it held a connection speed of 26mbps, didn't drop any frames and didn't lose any of the preloaded buffer for 2 minutes straight. That's plenty good enough for me because I have tested commercially produced wireless routers and repeaters that start losing frames at a pathetic 35m unobstructed line of sight with no external or nearby points of interference.

Have you checked your USB Wifi Adapters capabilities and confirmed they work?
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

m_pav
Developer

#5 Post by m_pav »

Ooh, there's also one other consideration, chipset quirks. My 2nd laptop sometimes struggles to connect to some WAP's but my production laptop has no such issues connecting to the same WAP. I've had my phone refuse to connect to some hotspots I have tested too, but my wifes phone connects straight away. I have found this to commonly be a chipset issue, something I have encountered many a time when I was actively supporting clients.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

Return to “Package Requests / Status”