SHAREit or similar software package

For developer discussion on package requests
imran17

SHAREit or similar software package

#1 Post by imran17 »

I want a software package which will enable me to share and transfer files from Android to mx linux. I want it to have 'send and receive' option to transfer data. Not that thing to create ftp server or something like that. Because that kill lot amount of time to send a single little file. Thank you

figueroa

Re: SHAREit or similar software package

#2 Post by figueroa »

I'm assuming you want to do this over a network, so install the openssh-server on MX. Then you can install a file transfer client program on your Android that can uses sftp to transfer files from and to your phone using that sftp client. The transfer must initiate on the Android phone.

There is nothing you can install on MX to connect by network directly to your phone and transfer files. Android is locked down unless you root it.

You can also use Google Drive or DropBox or other cloud repository as an intermediary transferring files to and from. You can just use your web browser under MX and you don't have to install anything.

If you only have one file, attach it to an email.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

For random files I use Dropbox or Google Drive, you can save the file to Dropbox/Google Drive and then open it on computer and the other way round. Google Drive doesn't have an official client for Linux though (there are solution like Insync).

Another solution, but not sure how you'd like it because you said no ftp server would be to use something like Syncthing you can install it both on computer and phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_US and then sync folders and files, you could have your camera folder sync automatically with the computer for example or have a "Notes" folder on the computer that is always in sync with the phone.

skidoo

#4 Post by skidoo »

in case you're interested, here's a couple antixforum topics discussing device-to-device transfer:
mount android phone via mtp
How do i automount Android MTP devices?

imran17

#5 Post by imran17 »

You might not get that what i meant.
I need a software for both Android and mx linux to transfer data via wifi(usb adapter sticked in my desktop). In windows environment there i have shareit fir both widows and Android. But we have no such software utility for linux environment.FTP or http servers are time consuming process to send few amout of files. I think it is not so tough to make build.
Problem is, developer has to make an *.apk file for Android too beside *.deb file for linux .

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

It's not a perfect solution, but the Airdroid app is pretty easy to use.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

imran17

#7 Post by imran17 »

Airdroid is exactly that http server mode what i already told to avoid.

timkb4cq
Developer

#8 Post by timkb4cq »

ES File Explorer can access a folder you share on your PC with Samba. That only takes a few clicks.
Just make sure that folder (not just the share settings - that's a different dialog) has permissions for everyone to read & write or you won't be able to copy to it.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

MrDePedro

#9 Post by MrDePedro »

KDE connect ?

BitJam
Developer

#10 Post by BitJam »

Like Adrian, I use Dropbox for my transferring files between Android and Linux. I think this does exactly what you asked for. There is software installed on Linux and on your phone that lets you share files. Very easy. Years ago I got the Android app WiFi File Explorer (Pro). It sets up an http server on the Android device that I can easily access from Linux (or any computer) to transfer files back and forth. This was really easy too. On the Linux/Windows side it just uses a web browser.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “Package Requests / Status”