News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Package Requests CCExtractor

For developer discussion on package requests
timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Package Requests CCExtractor

Post by timkb4cq » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm

After doing some more investigation, it's clear that the ccextractor-gui is not ready for prime time and that's why debian didn't build it.
The immediate problem is that it is hard coded to write out some files wherever the binary is placed. There is no configuration option for that. Since that's in /usr/share/ccextractor-gui/app it doesn't have that permission. It also expects to find the ccextractor binary in the same folder and it's in /usr/bin.

If you build ccextractor somewhere in your home folder according to their directions the GUI will work. It's going to take some patching to get the GUI to work with files in a standard debian install configuration.

As a (non-recommended) workaround, you can get the GUI working with:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /usr/bin/ccextractor /usr/share/ccextractor-gui/app/
sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /usr/share/ccextractor-gui/
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:36 pm

The old ccextractor drug in the newer libav & tesseract.
We need to get rid of them.
from a terminal run

apt-cache policy libavcodec58 libtesseract4
If either of these are installed, let's try to remove them but let's do a test remove first using

sudo apt-get remove libavcodec58 libtesseract4 -s
If it appears not much other than these packages or any similar packages are going to be removed, go ahead and remove them using

sudo apt-get remove libavcodec58 libtesseract4

Now that these are gone, let's see what ccextractor if any is installed using

apt-cache policy ccextractor
if ccextractor is installed, remove it using

sudo apt-get remove ccextractor
let me know when you've gotten this far.
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:45 pm

timkb4cq wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm
After doing some more investigation, it's clear that the ccextractor-gui is not ready for prime time and that's why debian didn't build it.
The immediate problem is that it is hard coded to write out some files wherever the binary is placed. There is no configuration option for that. Since that's in /usr/share/ccextractor-gui/app it doesn't have that permission. It also expects to find the ccextractor binary in the same folder and it's in /usr/bin.

If you build ccextractor somewhere in your home folder according to their directions the GUI will work. It's going to take some patching to get the GUI to work with files in a standard debian install configuration.

I'll try your work around later. it's not a big deal if we cannot get the GUI to work for me. I just thought that someone new may find it easier to use. Using the terminal the file names cannot have any spaces or they must be between "" marks. I have a TV series (1 season) in a folder and use 'ls' to list the files, Copy to a text file, put in the quote mark and then use ccextractor to do them all at one time. The actual hard part is editing the files that take so much time.

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:01 pm

timkb4cq wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks for finding that Tim.

So, should we pull it or rebuild it without the GUI and send it back up as cli only on the older tesseract?

towire - Thanks for testing.

Mike
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

No need to pull the working ccextractor - put I can pull just the ccextractor-gui if you'd like.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Please do.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm

timkb4cq wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm
No need to pull the working ccextractor - put I can pull just the ccextractor-gui if you'd like.
I tried your work around and it did work on the two files I tried, one no spaces and one with spaces in the file name. I did not try many files at one time.

I agree it should be pulled. I find the terminal easier to used and do many files at once. If you do another, I'll be willing to test it even before it would be put in Test repo, just send me a link to it if you do. I'm happy with just the terminal.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”