Package Request: geary

For developer discussion on package requests
dphn

Package Request: geary

#1 Post by dphn »

Like this small mail-client. Lightweight for systems with low hardware specs. Stretch repos have the outdatet 0.11.3, in testing/sid we find the 0.12.4 version. Maybe an idea for a backport.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/geary
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Stevo
Developer

Re: Package Request: geary

#2 Post by Stevo »

I suggest checking first to make that a repo man hasn't already been there and done that: https://repology.org/metapackage/geary/versions

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dphn

#4 Post by dphn »

thx, sorry... it's in test repo. ;)
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Yeri

#5 Post by Yeri »

Hi
I checked the repo and Geary is still in testing. I assume this means that it just won't make into the MX Package Installer?

I went to the their website here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary/GetIt

Since it's built for Gnome yet MX is built on Xcfe, does this mean it will not work on MX Linux?
(I did find this note on gnome:
tl;dr: If you want to run GNOME Software on MATE or XFCE you need to set an environment variable like GNOME_SOFTWARE_COMPATIBLE_PROJECTS=MATE,GNOME,XFCE)

I could try the command to install sudo apt install geary, but would not be sure how to uninstall if it wasn't working well.

My terminology might not be right yet.
Thanks

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Either no one has tried it yet, or they have used it, but not reported how it went.

Without any feedback, we don't have any data or push to move it out of testing. :frown:

Pretty much all applications "just work" in xfce without you needing any special tweaking--some KDE apps being an exception.

Yeri

#7 Post by Yeri »

ok, thanks.
I did find a few comments on the board about - saying lightweight, simple, so want to try.

I noticed Geary needs flatpack, here https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/

I'll install that since MX is Debian based, correct?

Then install Geary.

If it goes well I could post my experience and instructions for others.

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Yeri wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 pm
...Hi
I checked the repo and Geary is still in testing. I assume this means that it just won't make into the MX Package Installer?

I went to the their website here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary/GetIt

Since it's built for Gnome yet MX is built on Xcfe, does this mean it will not work on MX Linux?...

[snip]...
ok, thanks.
I did find a few comments on the board about - saying lightweight, simple, so want to try.

I noticed Geary needs flatpack, here https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/

I'll install that since MX is Debian based, correct?

Then install Geary.

If it goes well I could post my experience and instructions for others.
I think you should read up a little more on the distro you are using, ie MX.

Flatpak management can be found in MX Packageinstaller (MXPI).

There is also a "Test Repo" tab in MXPI. Just Have you searched that to find a newer version of Geary than the one in Stable Repo? If there is one, install it from there, and give feedback in this thread on how it works. That is what the Test Repo is for - the packaging of newer versions which still require testing and feedback before it can be cleared for the Stable Repo.

[ADDED]
NOTE: You should test the geary version in Test Repo first, as the Flatpak version will take up a huge amount of space due to the flatpak gnome runtime having to be installed.

NOTE 2: MX Test Repo is NOT Debian TESTING.

NOTE 3: Some additional changes to the post have been made and underlined.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

The manual and wiki are wonderful things that explain all of this in some detail, in language that newbies and laymen can understand. Get to know your distro, read its documentation, explore MXPI and learn how to use it and you'll be a lot better off than if you go downloading and installing things you find on the web a la Windows. Installing things from other than the repositories is a sure-fire way to break your MX installation. And I might add, searching MXPI for what you want in all of its repo tabs, then searching the forum to see if there's already an outstanding request for it, prior to requesting a package be added will make you more popular in the forum and endear you to the packaging team members, as will leaving feedback about test repo packages in that package's dedicated topic if there is one (search.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Yeri

#10 Post by Yeri »

Thanks for the responses.

I am very new to this and learning from online sources. I simply missed the Tab for Testing.
Have you searched that to find a newer version of Geary than the one in Stable Repo?
There isn't one in the stable section, just testing, as far as I can see.
as the Flatpak version will take up a huge amount of space due to the flatpak gnome runtime having to be installed.
This is exactly the information that is useful as I didn't know that.
MX Test Repo is NOT Debian TESTING.
I was referring to the fact Geary has specific Debian method for installing flatpak, was before I knew flatpack could be installed through MXPI.

Installing things from other than the repositories is a sure-fire way to break your MX installation.I
So only install items through MXPI , good point.
as will leaving feedback about test repo packages
Yup, that was the purpose. To give some feedback and perhaps it be installed in the next version.

I am not as expert as you both - it takes time to ramp up. There's no intent to shortcut but if someone else knows a faster way it's worth posting.
Based on replies I learned about MXPI, the testing repos and how to install. It's a process.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”