Request: micro text editor

For developer discussion on package requests
gimcrack

Request: micro text editor

#1 Post by gimcrack »

I just download the binary and place it in my /usr/local/bin as root. It's works just fine, my all time favorite text editor. Notice it wasn't in the repositories. I usually don't make request. Because I know how to do it myself. But it would help other's if it was more of a simple click on install command. Thanks.

manyroads

Re: Request: micro text editor

#2 Post by manyroads »

Is the editor named "micro text editor" ? If you want "your favorite" text editor in the repos, you may place a request here:
viewforum.php?f=55
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

gimcrack

#3 Post by gimcrack »

manyroads wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am Is the editor named "micro text editor" ? If you want "your favorite" text editor in the repos, you may place a request here:
viewforum.php?f=55
Yes, and thanks.

https://micro-editor.github.io/

smilliken

#4 Post by smilliken »

Mine is Scite. Unfortunately, it is only for 386's. I now it can be installed on a 64 bit it all of the supporting 386 packages are installed. Lots of clutter.
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Asus X570, Rysen 3600, 32 GB RAM MX-21
Acer 7551G MX-21 & Win 10
Asus i5, 16 GB RAM MX-21 & Win 10
Brother DCP-7065DN/HL-L3270CDW
Linux User# 4523410

Buck Fankers

#5 Post by Buck Fankers »

gimcrack wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm
manyroads wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am Is the editor named "micro text editor" ? If you want "your favorite" text editor in the repos, you may place a request here:
viewforum.php?f=55
Yes, and thanks.

A-ha, so it is like, Nano, terminal based editor, correct?

gimcrack

#6 Post by gimcrack »

Buck Fankers wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 pm
gimcrack wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm
viewforum.php?f=55
Yes, and thanks.

Not really. It's written in Go and the plugin scripts are written in Lua. A lot more features then nano, but not as advance as vim. It's a in betweener. Someone that what something better then nano. But don't want to go as far as learning how to use vim.

Buck Fankers

#7 Post by Buck Fankers »

gimcrack wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm
Not really. It's written in Go and the plugin scripts are written in Lua. A lot more features then nano, but not as advance as vim. It's a in betweener. Someone that what something better then nano. But don't want to go as far as learning how to use vim.
[/quote]

Cool, will check it out, thanks

baldyeti

#8 Post by baldyeti »

smilliken wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm Mine is Scite. Unfortunately, it is only for 386's. I now it can be installed on a 64 bit it all of the supporting 386 packages are installed. Lots of clutter.
I do not know what makes you think that, scite is available from the regular Debian repo (also for amd64).
A personal favorite of mine,too (after vim, of course ;-)
Actually this editor is a show-case for the scintilla widget on which the very popular notepad++ is based (but that one is windows-only)

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Getting Debian packages is issue #1 for micro and still open: https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/issues/1
It's also getting almost too late to include with Buster.

However, we could just package the binaries as a "micro-bin" package like the AUR, since we don't have to follow strict Debian policy for our repos.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”