REQUEST: QuiteRSS

For developer discussion on package requests
TerryL

REQUEST: QuiteRSS

#1 Post by TerryL »

The version of the QuiteRSS feed reader in the repositories is out of date, not a major problem really as it works for my needs, BUT it does bug me every time it starts by telling me it's out of date.

I don't know how popular feed readers are these days, but if there are a few others stick-in-the-muds like me I wouldn't mind moving up to 0.18.11.

Thanks

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: REQUEST: QuiteRSS

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

Given it's the last in the series before quiterss2 (unless a security patch is needed) it makes sense to update to 0.18.11
It will be up in the testing repository shortly.

I don't use rss feeds myself, so please leave feedback when you try it. I know it installs & runs but am otherwise unqualified to judge how well.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Gerson

#3 Post by Gerson »

I use QuiteRSS and so that I do not get the update sign I deactivated that option in the preferences but if I would like to update it, this in version 0.18.4
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

For now, use the Test repository to update quiterss. When we have enough reports that the new version is working properly the package will be moved into the main repository. Since the package was just built we have no feedback yet.
MX Tools -> Package Installer -> Full App Catalog -> MX Test Repo
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Took the updated QuiteRSS for a spin. It is performing as I expect.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

TerryL

#6 Post by TerryL »

OK, fast work.

I enabled the MX Testing repository in Synaptic, searched for QuiteRSS, and it found 0.18.11. That installed and worked just fine AND didn't tell me to look for a newer version. I wasn't sure about keeping the Test repository selected, so I unchecked it again.

I used to use RSS heavily before I retired and had a 90 minutes each way commute, these days I have less than a dozen podcasts and news sites, (RSS seems to be less used as well - am I old school?). Anyway, QuiteRSS is still handy as it saves me going to each of those podcasts and news sites daily and its embedded browser can play "Bad Voltage" or "Ubuntu Podcasts" etc. while I potter about doing something else.

Is there an MX Linux podcast? I'm subscribed to Run With The Dolphin YouTube channel, but is there anything else?

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

Quite right in not keeping the test repo active. An easier way to do it is to use the MX package Installer. Click the full app catalogue tab and then MX test repo. The repo will be updated and you can install the package you want. Once installed the test repo will be automatically disabled.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

TerryL

#8 Post by TerryL »

Ahhh, thanks richb, as I'm "old-school" I tend to turn to Synaptic automatically when I'm looking for software.

All these "Package Installers", "Software Boutiques", "App Centres", etc. confuse me, every distro has their own thing with different names and restrictions... Synaptic is there, I know it, it works.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Certainly use what you are comfortable with, I just want to point out that MX Package Installer is an option. I am a Synaptic fan and it is the first thing I installed when using other distros that did not have it by default. I became impressed with the features of MXPI and use it regularly. It is not the garden variety software boutique. Enough of my proselytizing. Worth taking a look at.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Redacted

#10 Post by Redacted »

The updated version seems to be working fine. All the little bells/whistles are working (open in external browser in the background, etc).
I use QuiteRSS daily. Sure do appreciate you MX developers.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”