Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

pandoc [Solved]

For developer discussion on package requests
v3g4n

Re: pandoc

#11 Post by v3g4n »

Stevo wrote:The Pandoc home page has a 64-bit deb of the latest 1.17.1 version that is installable on MX 15, and the executable runs in the terminal on my system, so it seems there's some way to build it on our present Haskell. But if they've already provided it, I'm a bit reluctant to try and figure out that rat's nest of build-dependencies.
I installed that in a VM, but when I typed pandoc in the terminal to launch it nothing happened. How did you launch it?

Gordon Cooper

#12 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Apology for the slow reply, blame it on the circular earth, I have to sleep some time. Pandoc can be used by Lyx to convert directly into Open Document format and the latest Lyx 2.2 update has the link to pandoc built in. The pandoc vsn in our repo and on my machine is 1.12, about four years old. It could not handle the Lyx MX manual file at all. The help team at Lyx asked had us to evaluate the new 1.17 pandoc hence my request. There is no certainty that 1.17 will work, so I will continue to do the Lyx conversions as at present, using html as an intermediate step.

Just received a report that pandoc can not handle external links so please forget my request.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

v3g4n wrote:
Stevo wrote:The Pandoc home page has a 64-bit deb of the latest 1.17.1 version that is installable on MX 15, and the executable runs in the terminal on my system, so it seems there's some way to build it on our present Haskell. But if they've already provided it, I'm a bit reluctant to try and figure out that rat's nest of build-dependencies.
I installed that in a VM, but when I typed pandoc in the terminal to launch it nothing happened. How did you launch it?
I think you have give it something to convert, like if you just type "sha512sum" without a file to hash, it looks like nothing happens.

v3g4n

#14 Post by v3g4n »

:duh: ah, makes sense. Ha-ha!

Gordon Cooper

Re: pandoc [Solved]

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I have downloaded and installed the pandoc 1.17 package, then tested it out with the Lyx manual. No better than the old version. Pandoc manages the plain text ok but can not handle the manual's punctuation, links and formatting. Thanks for your help.
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

lucky9

#16 Post by lucky9 »

Worth a look. We thank you for checking it.

If I run across something that will help. What will it need to do? :bagoverhead:
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Gordon Cooper

#17 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Thanks Lucky. We do have things fairly well under control using html as an intermediate step. this is how it works. The Manual is written in Lyx, it is much easier to use than authoring in html with something like Blue Fish as the editor. From Lyx, conversion to English html and pdf is just matter of clicking on a menu. Jerry has included a link to Google translate from the English html file, so that we can produce html copies in over 90 different languages. These copies have been machine translated, have errors in wording, so they need editing and improvement by folk well familiar with a particular language. Members of the MX forum are using Libre Office to do this editing. The Open Document format was selected for this as it is in fairly general use, and a darned sight easier than learning to edit in html. Also there are no big problems in converting html to ODF.

Pandoc was suggested for doing direct conversions from Lyx to ODF, but no-go. As I said earlier pandoc cannot cope with the formatting and punctuation used in the Manual.
I have been talking with some of the Lyx support team who agree that being able to translate to another language directly in Lyx would be great, but that's not possible yet.

Therefore, the path for languages other than English is: Authoring in Lyx>HTML>Google translate in HTML>ODF>Human editing/improvement in ODF>Publish - usually in PDF.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

Good summary, thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lucky9

#19 Post by lucky9 »

makes things clearer for me. Thanks.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

MX-16_fan

#20 Post by MX-16_fan »

@v3g4n:
Stevo wrote:
v3g4n wrote:I installed that in a VM, but when I typed pandoc in the terminal to launch it nothing happened. How did you launch it?
I think you have give it something to convert, like if you just type "sha512sum" without a file to hash, it looks like nothing happens.
Exactly as Stevo said. From the man page:
If no input-file is specified, input is read from stdin.
Greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests / Status”