Chromium 33?

For developer discussion on package requests
Adrian
Developer

Chromium 33?

#1 Post by Adrian »

I'm using MX and I see Chromium version is 32. I don't care about versions too much, but on another distribution I use Chromium version is 33, this creates problems sharing /home

I think last time when 32 was release it was quickly packaged and updated, I don't know what's and where the hold up this time...

BitJam
Developer

Re: Chromium 33?

#2 Post by BitJam »

IMO and experience sharing /home between distros is a really bad idea because there will often be conflicts like this. What I do is *copy* my home directory to the new distro. I keep all my real stuff on a separate partition mounted at /data. I then have a handful of symlinks in my home directory that point to directories under /data.

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   11 Mar 30  2009 Audio -> /data/Audio/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   24 Dec 28  2009 Claws-Mail -> /data/joeuser/Claws-Mail/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   23 Apr 22  2009 Downloads -> /data/joeuser/Downloads/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   19 May 13  2009 Games -> /data/joeuser/Games/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   18 Dec 28  2009 Mail -> /data/joeuser/Mail/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   20 Mar 30  2009 Photos -> /data/joeuser/Photos/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 joeuser   20 Mar 30  2009 Projects -> /data/joeuser/Photos/
This has worked great for many years, across several different machines. Before I did this, sharing /home was a nightmare sometimes, breaking my configuration in both systems.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

That's pretty much what I do too, but I also share the browser config because I don't want to go and configure every single extension I use (even though the extensions get pulled when I sign in). It works fine as long as I don't use different versions, or too big difference between close versions.

BitJam
Developer

#4 Post by BitJam »

That is not a problem for me because I *copy* my home directory to the new system. This copies the symlinks and all the config files and directories. This way I get all my default configurations without launching wars over competing versions. The only downside is a slow accumulation of config cruft, but this would also happen with sharing.

Conceptually, there is a difference between my data under /data and the config files in my home directory. My data is large and gets shared. The config files and directories are comparatively small and get copied. IMO, it makes prefect sense for the config files to be tied to the root directory (which holds the applications). The only possibility for a conflict is the first time you run a new system but most things carry over without a hitch.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Chromium is actually being updated by some nice person doing it Debian Wheezy-updates:

Debian Chromium Maintainers <pkg-chromium-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>

I suppose the mailing list might have some answer about the delay.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”