Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Add 0AD

For developer discussion on package requests
brinesharks

Add 0AD

#1 Post by brinesharks »

I'm not sure if this is the right place...but can 0 AD the game be added to the repository? It's a great game that's regularly updated.

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/

Stevo
Developer

Re: Add 0AD

#2 Post by Stevo »

I took a quick glance at their PPA, and it looks doable. The data files are about 250 MB, and we can handle that, and it looks like at least M11 can handle the dependencies.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/wfg/0ad/ubuntu/pool/main/

Will check on it in a day or two, unless another packager wants to handle this.

I was expecting a request for the new Battle of Westnoth, myself.
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

I have the 64-bit version built and running well, even on my Intel graphics laptop (newer xorg). Even in the alpha stage, this puppy looks addictive--I better keep away from it! Will finish up the 32-bit now.
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

xali

#4 Post by xali »

0ad is the only game i use. now i see there is alpha 22 released but in their site it says
The version available in the repository of Debian stable (actually Jessie 8.x) is outdated.
If you want to use the newest version the best option is to use the backports from testing to easily get the last alpha.
but in mx i can't find anywhere alpha 22 neither at debian backports or testing. is there a way to upgrade?
note that this is not urgent
i am on 32 bit

good morning!

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Looking at it...it needs libmozjs-38-dev ported over from the PPA or Ubuntu, and for some reason that thinks my python is insane. But I had no trouble building it in vanilla Jessie on the OBS, so just got those debs. Then the 0ad builds failed on 64-bit until I added amd64 to the architectures listed in the auto-test override in the debian/rules file on my own machine and the OBS--I don't know why they succeeded in the PPA and not on Debian.

Anyway, if another packager wants to jump in and build the libmozjs-38 packages before I can, feel free to do so. You can get the mozjs38 source files from the OBS here: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_8.0/

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

After more testing, it doesn't look like those mozjs source packages will build on MX, but adding the line

Code: Select all

export SHELL=/bin/sh
to the rules file somehow fixed the error with the Mozilla vertualenv not being able to detect the default shell on MX, though it does on straight Debian. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So things are now looking more promising for getting the new version in our test repo.

xali

#7 Post by xali »

thanks for the effort
take your time, we will succeed at last :)

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

I managed to work around the problem with the libmozjs-38 packages that are needed failing to build on MX Linux by setting up and using generic Jessie QEMU pbuilder virtual machines using this guide as a template: https://jodal.no/2015/03/08/building-ar ... -pbuilder/ and learning how to sign the packages, which isn't explained in that guide, by reading the man packages for debsign & pdebuilder. Setting up cross-platform builds in this way takes up much, much less time, space, and effort than installing Jessie virtual machines in Virtual Box.

so it looks like we're going to have 0.0.22 in the test repo soon; I just have to finish building it for i386.

One tantalizing prospect that method also opens up is that it also supports building packages on platforms besides amd64 and i386, such as for the Raspberry Pi, but I think we'd need more packaging help if we ever expanded MX to that platform...though maybe some MX applications would be very useful on the Pi. I could roll a few for the Pi if anyone has any requests, I think.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

I like the idea, but have no idea of what demand there might be.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

I'm aware of at least one of our packagers that's not happy with the prospect of having to maintain multiple VBox VM's to build for 32-bit/64-bit MX 16 and 17, so if this pdebuilder method works out, that's a way around that. Though they take longer to build a small package like one of the MX apps, that is offset by the fact that you can fire up multiple builds at a time--so you could build four at a time, for example, instead of transferring the files in and out of VBox VM's multiple times like we do now. I suppose I could next attempt to "hook" the MX repos into those pbuilder thingys like the web page says is possible...

Return to “Package Requests / Status”