vdrift

For developer discussion on package requests
banshee

vdrift

#1 Post by banshee »

I am trying to build vdrift
After unpacking i realized that it makes use of scons.
Oh?
I searched the web and found a link i am not able to post.
Add www to this:-> qandr.org/quentin/writings/debscons
which i barely understand.

Is it possible to create a deb-package when using scons (it sounds so) and is it something worth the trouble? (I barely know how to compile at all ).

First questions first:
In the source directory i got a file called "SConstruct". Do i replace the content of that with the debian info from the link (SConscript) , or do i need to create a SConscript file additionaly.

Or is there a deb-package out there?

banshee

#2 Post by banshee »

http://vdrift.net/
http://www.qandr.org/quentin/writings/debscons

A how-to create deb-packages when using scons would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Do it the easy way and create deb packages from debianized source files from here:

http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb/ubuntu ... /v/vdrift/

though I can't be sure if we can build it on Mepis...

see here for a short howto:

https://sites.google.com/site/stevosfil ... kports.txt
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

banshee

#4 Post by banshee »

Thanks. I looked through your how-to.
What do i need to take care of when using an Ubuntu package?
(which files do i need to check?)

I download this one:
vdrift_20100630-1~getdeb1.debian.tar.gz
and go the usual way? (mhhh... obviously that is not the one i am looking for)

Might be it won't work ( like said i am not good with compiling anyway). A user at another forum recommended torcs and vdrift as cool autoracing games.
I found torcs in the repos, in fact it is very cool. I found vdrift in old threads, so it once must have been in the repos. That is why i try it (i expect it to be as good as torcs).

kesuda

#5 Post by kesuda »

banshee:

I have Vdrift installed and running in Mepis 8.5 on my 64 bit machine, so yes it will run on Mepis.

I like TORCS, but like Vdrift better. Great tracks, scenery, and cars.

I also am not experienced compiling. Because of that I used a spare partition and fresh install so as to not break my real install if something went wrong.

From what I remember; I ended up installing more than the instructions listed for dependencies to get it to run. I've got a list of what I ended up with as "installed dependencies" and the instructions I used if you are interested.

I didn't know that such a thing as "debianized" source files were available. I might have tried that instead.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

banshee wrote:Thanks. I looked through your how-to.
What do i need to take care of when using an Ubuntu package?
(which files do i need to check?)

I download this one:
vdrift_20100630-1~getdeb1.debian.tar.gz
and go the usual way? (mhhh... obviously that is not the one i am looking for)

Might be it won't work ( like said i am not good with compiling anyway). A user at another forum recommended torcs and vdrift as cool autoracing games.
I found torcs in the repos, in fact it is very cool. I found vdrift in old threads, so it once must have been in the repos. That is why i try it (i expect it to be as good as torcs).
You got the first file, you also need the .dsc file, then the big original source file...which you probably already have. If it's exactly the same version as on the getdeb site, you can rename it to exactly the same .orig filename as the big 500+ MB file in that pool, otherwise you will have to download it from there, then put all three files in a folder and run the extraction command on the .dsc file.

Getdeb often puts higher versions in the build-depends in the control file than the program really needs, so if the pbuilder command fails, try changing the versions to Mepis versions in the /debian/control file (inside the new extracted source)

banshee

#7 Post by banshee »

From what I remember; I ended up installing more than the instructions listed for dependencies to get it to run. I've got a list of what I ended up with as "installed dependencies" and the instructions I used if you are interested.
Yes, kesuda, i am interested.
I think i can deal with the dependencies problem, but it won't hurt to get some further info.
You got the first file, you also need the .dsc file, then the big original source file...which you probably already have. If it's exactly the same version as on the getdeb site, you can rename it to exactly the same .orig filename as the big 500+ MB file in that pool, otherwise you will have to download it from there, then put all three files in a folder and run the extraction command on the .dsc file.
Ok. I already downloaded the
vdrift_20090615.orig.tar.gz
and tried this and that to know avail. The download took 5 hours, btw.
I also tried to follow the README/INSTALL instructions, but that doesn't work neither (in short it is simply "scons" inside the source folder).

Ok, all three files in one folder, then "running extraction command on the .dsc file"... gotta figure that out.
I wouldn't call that the "easy way " neither.... so far.

Brooko

#8 Post by Brooko »

Have a look at this
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Backport

It'll give you an example to follow
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Ok, all three files in one folder, then "running extraction command on the .dsc file"... gotta figure that out.
I wouldn't call that the "easy way " neither.... so far.
Besides the full-on packager's guide, did you take a look at the much shorter "backports.txt" one-page guide I linked to? The recipe is given there...

And I hate to tell you this, but the latest version there would be the 20100630 version...that's the date in year--month--day order. Versioning a package with the date in that order makes sure a more recent version alway has a higher number.

Edit: I see about the slow download from the getdeb page. The 20100630.tar.bz2 file downloads much faster from vdrift's SourceForge page, and simply renaming it to the vdrift_20100630.orig.tar.bz2 file should work to get the matching .dsc file to extract it.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

OK, that renaming trick worked. Getdeb has the Build-Depends as

debhelper (>= 6), scons,
libsdl-gfx1.2-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev,
libsdl-net1.2-dev, libvorbis-dev, libglew-dev,
libasio-dev, libboost-regex1.40-dev

All which are available in the stock Mepis 8.5 repos, though it may need the newer libasio-dev in the community repo. You don't need debhelper if you aren't building a deb package, but take it from all of us on the packaging team--you want to build a deb package.

Maybe Tim could build this for the CR; it would save me performing a massive upload of the game data and source files.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”