AuSable Chasm Wallpaper Image

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
MrpTech

AuSable Chasm Wallpaper Image

#1 Post by MrpTech »

Hello all,

This is my first post, and I hope that I'm posting in the right spot. A listener of my podcast recommended that I check out MX Linux and on a whim I did. I was pleasantly surprised that after my first boot to the live environment, and looking to change the wallpaper, I discovered a familiar image. The image of the waterfall, river and cement building is from my home town, and I actually work in the summers at this location. It's a place called "AuSable Chasm". The waterfall is named Rainbow falls, and it's the AuSable River. Just beyond the falls and on the right you will see buildings from a hydro-electric power dam.

I'm curious as to how this image was selected for use with MX Linux. I'm assuming some sort of photo submission competition. Never before have I booted a Linux Distro to find an image so close to home. It definitely gave MX some bonus points for me!

The area from where this image is taken is from a bridge that is on a National Historic Register, and was built in 1932. I usually cross this bridge multiple times a day in the summer.
There are hiking trails, and a rafting operation about a mile downstream from that location. I told the management that there was a picture of Ausable Chasm on a linux OS that I was testing, and they loved the idea and were very happy to hear Rainbow falls was being seen in new places.

Anyone have any info on this image, who took it, or how it was selected for use? I'm curious if someone was just visiting for the day, or if they are a local linux user who submitted the photo. This all of course has nothing to do with my summer employment, but more just personal interest and curiosity. Thanks for your time!

Matt

asqwerth
Developer

Re: AuSable Chasm Wallpaper Image

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Our Dev, Tim, took the pic.

https://mxlinux.org/ausable-chasm

Do a forum search, someone else asked about this and Tim did reply.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

My wife's stepfather lives in Champlain, NY (in the summer - he's a snowbird now) & he has a camper in Peru. Since we visit him nearly every year it's not surprising that we have been just down the road to AuSable Chasm. It is a beautiful place.

I have been a professional photographer of sorts though I don't claim to still be. In the 1970's I photographed & processed B&W for a small daily newspaper & a couple of different small weeklies in FL. And, as is usual at most small weeklies, I also wrote some copy, did some typesetting and paste up, repaired equipment, you name it.
From the late 70's -> 1990 I shot & processed home pictures part-time for one of those free Real Estate ad mags. Not particularly artistic but it helped pay the bills.

This photo was taken with pocketable 12.1 megapixel Canon Powershot since I can't be bothered to carry around bulky equipment without a good reason anymore and we were hiking the trails that day.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

A great photo Tim. Anyone unfamiliar with the area would get the impression that is a remote place with only a small power station intruding on the natural scenery.
Yet, just out of shot is a quite large building on the left, and there is no indication of close highways and roads. Think that the river must have been quite high when picture was taken. That's a lot of water coming down on the right, excess from the feed to the power house penstocks.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

MrpTech

#5 Post by MrpTech »

Hi Tim,

Nice to meet you and thank you for the kind response. It’s always great to see someone admiring the view there. It is a very nice shot indeed!

I’ve been employed there for summers since 2002 and only once have I ever seen anyone walk through with a Linux shirt on!!

Many people stop and take photos off of the bridge and just keep passing on. I love this. Rt 9 used to be the major corridor between NYC and Montreal before he highway was put in.

The power dam I believe was put in around 1919, and supplies the village of Keeseville and surrounding areas with a bump when needed during high consumption times.

For those that don’t know, the waterfall can be completelt diverted when they need to do work on the dam. It is very eerie when this happens. I could talk about the place for hours not as someone who works there but as someone who grew up there and loves the place. This was the reason I was very enthusiastic to ask about it. I care for Linux, and love the Chasm! Both of my world’s collided! Very Cool!

Back to MX Linux, it was very cool to see that included as a background. Thanks Tim for doing that and showcasing our area. It’s very nice to see something pop up in the Linux world and my area. There really isn’t that much Linux talk happening up here. Most people don’t even know what it is!

I honestly haven’t spent much time with MX Linux, but I would love to learn more, and will. Tim I’m very thankful for your post and thanks for the detailed response. It changed my initial opinions on this forum. Thank you! Best wishes to the project!

Return to “Art Discussion”