Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Calling for submissions - MX18 wallpapers

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
asqwerth
Developer

Calling for submissions - MX18 wallpapers

#1 Post by asqwerth »

Dear forum members,

Let’s get the ball rolling for wallpaper (WP) submissions for MX-18!

[UPDATED: Deadline: Friday, 30 Monday, 26 November]

What are we looking for?

The artwork could be photographs, photo manipulations, graphic art including explorations of the MX name or logo, computer-generated images (e.g. forum member skidoo has contributed backgrounds generated using an open source program Evolvotron), etc. You’re restricted only by your creativity.

See : https://mxlinux.org/calling-all-artists ... tive-types

You can submit your own creations or the creations of other parties for consideration, provided all licences and conditions for distribution are respected. See note at the bottom of this post for information on licences and copyright.

Wallpaper details and how to submit:

1. WP picture size: 1920 x 1200, of sufficiently high resolution at that size.

2. file size per image submitted: no real limitation for the final image if chosen. But in respect of your initially uploaded submissions onto the Community wallpaper page at:

https://mxlinux.org/community-submitted-wallpaper

please restrict the size to between 400kB to 1.5 MB per uploaded file. If the actual file size is larger than that, please reduce the file size for the upload, but keep the original high-quality file. If the WP is selected, you can forward the original to us.

I will update you if peregrine has set up a separate MX18 wallpaper sub-page for the submissions. If not, just upload onto the MX17 sub-page for the moment. The team will also be considering artwork already submitted by members, that didn't have the opportunity to be showcased in the previous wallpaper packs.

Even if your submissions aren't selected for the MX18 default WP pack, your wallpapers will still be available for download by the community at the Community website. There were a lot of good ones that didn't make it into the previous releases.

3. You'll need to log in with your account at https://mxlinux.org/user before you can upload your pics. If you haven't created a user account yet, please PM peregrine with your request and an email address, and you'll get a one-time password to set up your own password.

4. for each upload, fill in these relevant details in the text fields:
a) the source of the pic (e.g. yours? someone you know? Found at this URL?)
b) licence terms for the pic
c) if attribution is required under the licence, give details of creator/artist.

If you need to see how different members had previously filled in these text fields, just click on the name of various wallpapers in the MX16 and MX17 sub-pages.

5. post these same details of your submission(s) in this thread as well.

Addition of MX Linux logo on your wallpaper submissions

There is some flexibility here. Obviously if your artwork is already an artistic exploration of the MX Logo or name, there may be no need to further affix the MX logo to one corner, so I leave it to your artistic sensibilities.

If your uploaded pics are smaller-sized lower-resolution images, it may not be necessary for the moment to affix the logo. If your pic is selected, the logo can be affixed at that time to the full resolution image file.

However, for those who do want to affix the logo, here are some resources and instructions. This is the main art resource link: https://mxlinux.org/art

a) we have a 1920x1200 transparent Overlay Sheet for wallpapers that are already in this size.

Go here: https://mxlinux.org/sites/default/files ... 0x1200.zip and download the file.

b) Open your wallpaper in GIMP, then “Open [the Overlay Sheet] As Layer" from the File Menu option in GIMP and affix onto your wallpaper. You can then save/export the combined image as a jpg or png file.

c) If you wish to manually affix the logo to your wallpaper, go to this link:

https://mxlinux.org/sites/default/files ... nalone.png

and download the standalone logo file.

When affixing the said logo on your wallpaper using any graphics program, please take care that the logo position should be high enough that it's not blocked by a horizontal or vertical panel.

Note on licences and copyright:

1. the source/provenance of the WP and terms of any licence attached to it are important, as we don't want copyright disputes with people claiming to be the rightful artist/creator.

2. it would be nice to have photos/art created by forum members themselves, or by people known to the members who are willing to gift it to MX's use without any conditions (giving credit/attribution to the creator/artist is fine).

3. However, we have no problems with work:
a) carrying liberal licences like CC0 provided the source/origin of the WP is not some questionable** site, or
b) under Creative Commons Share Alike licences so long as they do not prohibit derivative work (since we may add the MX logo or otherwise modify the work) or commercial use. Again, attribution is fine - we'll just include the details in a text file in the wallpaper directory.

4. For members contributing suggestions from other sources, you may wish to consider (just some examples):
- Flickr or Unsplash contributors with acceptable licence terms for their pics who, from the picture details provided (e.g. camera used, lens, location, time, date, occasion), are credible as the creator/taker of the pics
- Pixabay, with hundreds of thousands of free images released under CC0 Public Domain Free for commercial use. No attribution required.

**It is true that some people may upload copyrighted material to sites like the above and claim them as their own. The origin of each pic can be checked at https://www.tineye.com/
If it doesn't appear in too many different places, it's more likely to be aboveboard. Use common sense.
Last edited by asqwerth on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dreamer

Re: Calling for submissions - MX18 wallpapers

#2 Post by dreamer »

It's nice with submissions from the community. I just want to make sure people are aware of Pixabay.

https://pixabay.com/en/

"Pixabay is a vibrant community of creatives, sharing copyright free images and videos. All contents are released under Creative Commons CC0, which makes them safe to use without asking for permission or giving credit to the artist - even for commercial purposes."

EDIT: Didn't read the whole text, now I see Pixabay was already mentioned. I still think it's a good site though. ;)

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

Yes, Pixabay is good, as is Unsplash. The butterfly + cocoon photo from MX16 Metamorphosis came from Pixabay, by the way. :happy:

However, theoretically people could copy someone else's pics and upload them on these sites, so I added a little caution.

I'm hoping the team can agree on a name for MX18 soon, as that might also help members to suggest some theme-appropriate images from these CC0 sites.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Can you confirm next will be MX18 and not another MX17 point release ?
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:00 pm Can you confirm next will be MX18 and not another MX17 point release ?
Pretty much unanimous.

Gordon Cooper

#6 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Many thanks. Will change the headings on new Thinkpad table.
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:45 pm I'm hoping the team can agree on a name for MX18 soon, as that might also help members to suggest some theme-appropriate images from these CC0 sites.
MX-17 is called "Horizon". Here are some other bold "space" related names:

Aurora
Continuum
Eclipse
Infinity
Latitude
Zodiac

As long as MX-18 isn't named after a big cat, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

"Continuum" is a good suggestion, since Stretch is still the base
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Mauser

#9 Post by Mauser »

I have a wallpaper ready already for MX-18. Since there is no MX-18 section and it won't let me upload it to the MX-17 section, here it is here. Image
Last edited by Mauser on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Gordon Cooper

#10 Post by Gordon Cooper »

'continuum' has the advantage of having nearly the same spelling in several languages.

Return to “Art Discussion”