Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Calling for submissions - MX17 wallpapers

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
asqwerth
Developer

Calling for submissions - MX17 wallpapers

#1 Post by asqwerth »

Dear forum members,

[UPDATED IN RED, 15 OCT 2017]

Development for MX17 has started, and there is in fact a very rough pre-alpha image being tested by the Development Team. It's still early stages as antiX-17, MX's mother distro, has itself not been finalised.

Nevertheless, we're starting early in issuing this call to submit wallpapers (WP) for consideration to be part of the collection on the MX17 iso. You can submit your own creations or the creations of other parties provided all licences and conditions for distribution are respected. See note below on licences and copyright.

Wallpaper details and how to submit:

1. WP picture size: 1920 x 1200

2. file size per WP submitted: between 400kB to 1.5 MB.
In the past we have had submissions that were either too (physically) small or too low quality to be considered. If the actual file size is larger than that, please reduce the file size for the upload, but keep the original high-quality file. If the WP is selected, you can forward the original to us.

3. upload site: Karen (peregrine) has set it up so that the submissions for WP can be uploaded here: https://mxlinux.org/wallpaper17

And if you haven't visited the Community-submitted Wallpaper pages yet at https://mxlinux.org/community-submitted-wallpaper , go check it out. Even if your submissions aren't selected for the MX17 iso, they will still be available for download by the community. There were a lot of good ones that didn't make it into the previous releases.

4. You'll need to log in with your account at https://mxlinux.org/user before you can upload your pics. If you haven't created a user account yet, please PM peregrine with your request and an email address, and you'll get a one-time password to set up your own password.

5. for each upload, fill in these relevant details in the text fields:
a) the source of the pic (e.g. yours? someone you know? Found at this URL?)
b) licence terms for the pic
c) if attribution is required under the licence, give details of creator/artist.

You can see these details for the MX16 submissions. Just click on the name of the wallpaper in question.

6. post these same details of your submission(s) in this thread as well.

7. if you wish to add the MX Linux logo,

download the ARCHIVE FILE ATTACHED TO THIS POST. THERE IS A 1920X1200 OVERLAY SHEET FOR WALLPAPERS THAT ARE ALREADY IN THIS SIZE. OPEN WALLPAPER IN GIMP,
Then "Open THE OVERLAY SHEET as layer" in the File menu in GIMP and affix onto pic.

A FILE OF THE LOGO ITSELF IS ALSO IN THE ARCHIVE FILE WHICH YOU CAN MANUALLY POSITION ON THE WALLPAPER. The logo position should be high enough that it's not blocked by a horizontal panel.

Note on licences and copyright:

1. the source/provenance of the WP and terms of any licence attached to it are important, as we don't want copyright disputes with people claiming to be the rightful artist/creator.

2. it would be nice to have photos/art created by forum members themselves, or by people known to the members who are willing to gift it to MX's use without any conditions (giving credit/attribution to the creator/artist is fine).

3. However, we have no problems with work:
a) carrying liberal licences like CC0 provided the source/origin of the WP is not some **questionable site, or
b) under Creative Commons Share Alike licences so long as they do not prohibit derivative work (since we may add the MX logo or otherwise modify the work) or commercial use. Again, attribution is fine - we'll just include the details in a text file in the wallpaper directory.

4. For members contributing suggestions from other sources, you may wish to consider (just some examples):
- Flickr or Unsplash contributors with acceptable licence terms for their pics who, from the picture details provided (e.g. camera used, lens, location, time, date, occasion), are credible as the creator/taker of the pics
- Pixabay, with hundreds of thousands of free images released under CC0 Public Domain Free for commercial use. No attribution required.

**It is true that some people may upload copyrighted material to sites like the above and claim them as their own. The origin of each pic can be checked at https://www.tineye.com/
If it doesn't appear in too many different places, it's more likely to be aboveboard. Use common sense.
Last edited by asqwerth on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Calling for submissions - MX17 wallpapers

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Very well done! Made this a Wiki entry that we can return to in the future:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/other/art-volunteers
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

What do you think about adding the wiki link to Facebook? Along with the call for wallpaper submissions.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Sure
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Ghost67

#5 Post by Ghost67 »

I posted some wallpapers in the art section here on the forum just today - right before I saw this thread(!). I've PM'd peregrine for a community password so I can submit to the proper place, but the message is just sitting in my outbox - is this how it will remain until it's been read by him, or have I done something incorrectly?
Cheers!
Ghosty

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

Ghost67 wrote:I posted some wallpapers in the art section here on the forum just today - right before I saw this thread(!). I've PM'd peregrine for a community password so I can submit to the proper place, but the message is just sitting in my outbox - is this how it will remain until it's been read by him, or have I done something incorrectly?
Cheers!
Ghosty
This is normal. When she retrieves it it will disappear from the outbox. Nice feature to know that your PM has been read.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

No rush, Ghost67. You'll get a reply from her in due course.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

skidoo

#8 Post by skidoo »

thumbnails of my uploaded images:
6. post these same details of your submission(s) in this thread as well.
each page displays the following details:
a) skidoo created using "Evolvotron" (available from debian repository)
b) license: CC0 (public domain)
c) no attribution requested

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

Thanks, skidoo.

BTW, I really liked your fuschia pink+yellow contribution for MX16 last year.

Ghost67

#10 Post by Ghost67 »

richb wrote:This is normal. When she retrieves it it will disappear from the outbox. Nice feature to know that your PM has been read.
asqwerth wrote:No rush, Ghost67. You'll get a reply from her in due course.
Great stuff! Many thanks, and my apologies for assuming the lady to be a man!

Ghosty

Return to “Art Discussion”