Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Calling for submissions - MX16 wallpapers

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
asqwerth
Developer

Calling for submissions - MX16 wallpapers

#1 Post by asqwerth »

Dear members,

Development for MX16 has started, and the Art Team is inviting members to submit suggested wallpaper (WP) for the MX16 iso. Things to note:

1. there is a deadline for the choice of the default WP, because it will likely be used as the background for the login screen and grub menu as well. Deadline for submissions will be end of this Sunday, 2 Oct 2016, so that the team can then discuss and vote on the submissions. Submissions not chosen for the default WP might still end up as part of the WP collection in MX16;

2. the source/provenance of the WP and terms of any licence attached to it are important, as we don't want copyright disputes with people claiming to be the rightful artist/creator.

Our preference is therefore for photos or pics taken/created by members themselves, or by people known to the members, who are willing to gift it to MX's use without any conditions (except perhaps for attribution of the creator/artist). Creative Commons Share Alike licences are fine but not those that prohibit derivative work (since we will add the MX logo) or commercial use (question mark over whether MX is deemed "commercial" when we do have a "donate" button).

For members contributing suggestions from other sources, you may wish to consider (just some examples):
- Flickr contributors with acceptable licence terms for their pics who, from the picture details provided (e.g. camera used, lens, location, time, date, occasion), are credible as the creator/taker of the pics
- Pixabay, with hundreds of thousands of free images released under CC0 Public Domain Free for commercial use No attribution required.
- wallhaven and unsplash have great pics

However, it is also true that some people may upload copyrighted material to sites like the above and claim them as their own. The origin of each pic can be checked at https://www.tineye.com/

Upload/Posting instructions:

1. Karen (peregrine) has set it up so that the submissions for proposed default WP can be uploaded here: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/wallpaper

2. You'll need an account to upload your pics. [edited] To create an account at: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user

please PM peregrine (Karen) with your request and an email address, and you'll get a one-time password to set up your own password.

3. picture size: 1920 x 1200 (can be slightly larger but not too huge)

4. to add the logo, [edited] download the file attached to this post (see below).
Then "Open as layer" in the File menu in GIMP and affix onto pic.

5. post details of your contribution in this thread as follows:
a) the source of the pic (and/or URL)
b) licence terms for the pic
c) if credit has to be given under the licence, details of creator/artist
Last edited by asqwerth on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

Re: Calling for submissions - MX16 wallpapers

#2 Post by Stevo »

OK--I think that if we're going to add graphics to the installer and maybe other applications, they should all have something in common with the wallpaper. For example, the installer with the MX 15 country lake wallpaper could have the open door of a fishing cabin, MX-Tools could have a background array of fishing gear...you see what I'm getting at. The connections could also be creative and non-obvious, if we want to get tricky. Some free images could be hard to track down, depending on the wallpaper. I imagine some would be easy, like something to do with automobiles or Greece, for example.

Edit: Ideally, the code name for MX 16 would also relate to the theme.
Last edited by Stevo on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

skidoo

#4 Post by skidoo »

?
the page doesn't offer a way to create an account.
checked viewSource, searched for "new", and "register", and "signup"... nope

BitJam
Developer

#5 Post by BitJam »

I really like the background image Roky posted here but I don't know about the rights or the sizes available. I couldn't find the image in a Google "similar images" search.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

peregrine
Administrator

#6 Post by peregrine »

Please PM me to set up an account on the community site. Include an email in your message please.
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX18 ------ Lenovo Yoga intel i7 7500 / MX-21

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

BitJam wrote:I really like the background image Roky posted here but I don't know about the rights or the sizes available. I couldn't find the image in a Google "similar images" search.
It's quite artistic, but do we want the image of something decaying and falling apart as the wallpaper?

Edit: It may have been appropriate for MEPIS. :frown:
Last edited by Stevo on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitJam
Developer

#8 Post by BitJam »

Stevo wrote:It's quite artistic, but do we want the image of something decaying and falling apart as the wallpaper?
Excellent point! A similar image search turned up many other possibilities.

Personally, I like the decaying building, partly because it breaks the mold, but I can see how a majority would not like it. It reminds me of what I see when I open my front door and look across the street. I'm also reminded of trends in the styling of hi-fi equipment. For many years it was all silver and gold and then someone made a radical move and switched to black.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

skidoo wrote:Image

Oops. I've changed my original post to rectify that.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

You may be trying to access a restricted forum.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Art Discussion”