Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

14.4 icons

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
Jerry3904
Administrator

14.4 icons

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

I generally like the new icon set a lot, but have a problem with less popular applications for which no icons have been built. As a for-instance, compare these two screen shots of Bluefish (the html editor I use a lot), the one showing faenza-cupertino full and the other mini. As you can see, the mini icons on the second bar down are indistinguishable from each other. Is there a way to bring in cupertino full icons for such applications? Or some other similar solution?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

Re: 14.4 icons

#2 Post by richb »

I like Gnome-Brave
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

lucky9

#3 Post by lucky9 »

I wanted a bigger Icon for Logout. This was fairly easy to enlarge by using the 48 pixel choice. Perhaps there is a setting in Bluefish somewhere, maybe?
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

That was just an example.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Paul..

#5 Post by Paul.. »

I'd like to hear from Henry on this, but it seems to me that *completeness* is a big differentiator when it comes to icon sets. In other words, apart from the workmanship of the icons themselves, you can tell a good quality icon set from a flash-in-the-pan icon set by the depth of its application coverage.

That said, even those with deep coverage can't cover all applications (as is the case with Faenza-Cupertino-mini). And some applications, like google-chrome-stable for example, make it even more difficult to produce a consistent icon "look" because they insist on overriding the icon-set-in-use and placing their old icons in certain scenarios such as the "Window Buttons" (aka Task List) versus "Launchers" in xfce4.

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Unless hard drive space is a consideration, I see nothing wrong with installing cupertino full and thus bringing in Faenza as well, instead of just cupertino mini.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Or we could add any missing icons to the mini package, though this could end up a never-ending task.

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

I've applied both the mini and the full cupertino sets to my MX system, and it's very visible that the smaller icons in "mini" are of lower resolution than in cupertino full.

Open Thunar and look at the blue folders in the home directory in "Detailed List" view, using both icon sets. Also, as Jerry found in his bluefish example (can also be seen in Thunar), the navigation icons for mini looked smudged up or smeary.

Since faenza and cupertino full are already in the MX repos, I think they are a better choice for MX than mini, since it is no longer a must that the iso file fit on a CD.

Also, the user then gets the choice of blue folders with cupertino full, or yellow-brown folders by choosing faenza.

I am ok with Gnome-Brave as well, but think the faenza family looks more modern without being a trend-of-the-season thing.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Utopia
Administrator

#9 Post by Utopia »

I've got the same problem to tell the mini icons apart on smaller screens. Have to try the full cupertino for awhile before having an opinion about it. Don't know in detail how it differs when it comes to icons for the different apps.
We've already got a few icons of our own that was more suited to go with the old icon set. Maybe we must flatten them?
Henry

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

... Don't know in detail how it differs when it comes to icons for the different apps.
We've already got a few icons of our own that was more suited to go with the old icon set. Maybe we must flatten them?...
I think the main difference is the navigation buttons (e.g. back, forward, up one level, home).

Mini uses dark grey square buttons within which is some light coloured navigation symbol, while Faenza + cupertino just has the navigation symbols in a black/dark colour with no background.

Other than that I believe the differences are:

1. the resolution of the smaller icons in mini is lower;

2. the fact that faenza-cupertino isn't a complete set and depends on faenza. Faenza-Cupertino merely contains blue-coloured folders and other icons that were recoloured or improved on. Everything else is standard faenza, but that can be seen as a good thing because faenza is quite a complete set.

MX's own icons - instead of flattening them, another possibility is to set them within black/dark squares, like the MX logo? That will give them a similar shape to faenza.

As an aside, faenza isn't really all that flat compared to the REALLY flat ones in vogue right now, like Numix or Moka. Everywhere, UI elements are all flatter, eg. Plasma 5, Win 8, Android, recent iOS, so I guess the icons have to match that.

http://www.maketecheasier.com/5-beautif ... for-linux/

Return to “Art Discussion”