-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Anybody tried the Kubuntu Steampunk start up Splashy?

Any ML member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MEPIS art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Anybody tried the Kubuntu Steampunk start up Splashy?

#11 Post by Stevo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 pm

JBoman wrote:
Utopia wrote:
Still playing with gimp to figure out the text edits
The indicator.jpg is easy. Duplicate the layer. Cut out the first section without text. Multiply it and use to cover all sections with text. Merge down all the parts and fit border size to window. Merge down the layer you just made with the original layer to cover up for any misalignment. Now you should have an image of the original size but without "Kubuntu".
The plating.png is more tricky. It has indexed colors, can't be changed as it is.
Save it as .jpg and open the jpg file instead. Now the transparency is lost, must be added again.
Erase the jpg layer but keep the empty layer.
Open the original plating.png as layer and merge it down. Now the indexing is gone and you can manipulate it.
Save as png when finished.
Henry
Henry, Thanks I'll try your instructions; any idea how to add sound like Kmathern mentioned ?
Stevo, Where did you find the kdm login screen at ?
:cool2:
You have to run systemsettings as root (which messes up my color scheme, oddly enough) , or log in as root to do this:

Code: Select all

kdesu systemsettings
and then go to Login manager and hit "get new themes" and scroll down until it show up.

It's also here: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/St ... ent=142139

Hmmmm--I have played around with a qtcurve theme, colors, and fonts and made an brassy, steampunk desktop--though I don't remember where I got those IM fonts from.

Edit: I have fiddled a bit and added some dark cherry wood for the main window background (the second screenshot) The jpgs for the backdrops are included in the qtcurve theme file, though they are only 1400 x 900 so will be truncated if you have a bigger screen resolution. If someone can come up with a bigger free wood texture online, please let me know.

Themes with wood: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1UMhs ... 4&hl=en_US
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Anybody tried the Kubuntu Steampunk start up Splashy?

#12 Post by Stevo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:49 pm

The artist now has a unbranded version up, no logos.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Return to “Art Discussion”