-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How to create a tiled Preview of my Smileyset? (ImageMagick?)

Any ML member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MEPIS art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
Spiritsoul07

How to create a tiled Preview of my Smileyset? (ImageMagick?)

#1 Post by Spiritsoul07 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:29 am

Hi there Mepis & Art Lovers,

i have a question about ImageMagick - or - if you know an other way to solve my problem, you are welcome to share that with me :) .

I want to create a Preview / Overview of my self drawn Smileyset, like this:

or this:

This is the old version and a small preview to the new ones.

I don't want to do that one by one again, and so my question is:

How to do that with ImageMagick (or an other way) , so, that it calculates the canvas (image-dimensions) automatically and places the 16x16 Pixel Smileys with an 8 Pixel Space between them and 8 Pixel Space to the Borders? (like in the Preview Images shown here)

Oh, i forgot: The Placement of the Smileys should be 5 in the X Dimension (width) or selectable and in the Y Dimension (height) calculated automatically.

EDIT1: The Output Filename and filetype sould be "overview.png". The Input Filenames should be read in from a Text file called "inputfiles.txt". There i can arrange the Filenames a little bit, because they follow this rule:

currently the smileys are named like this: smileyxx.png - where "xx" is a number, that counts from 00 to 30+ - so the files are called: "smiley00.png", "smiley01.png", "smiley02.png" and so on.

I know, that this can be solved with the ImageMagick Command Line Tool called "montage", but i'm not familiar with that one.

Thank you,
Ingo

Spiritsoul07

solved!

#2 Post by Spiritsoul07 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:16 pm

I solved this Problem by myself using the ImageMagick Command Line Tool "montage".

Just in case you have a similar problem; i used this to montage the 44 PNG Smileys into one PNG File:
montage @myimages.txt -tile 5x9 -geometry +0+4 overview01.png
in @myimages.txt the Input-image-filenames are listed like this:

image00.png
image01.png
image02.png
image03.png
image44.png

so they fit in a grid of 5x9 cells and that is what i wanted. The result/output is not 100% what i wanted, but it's close to it. You can tweak the options by yourself to get what you need as an output-file.

Just in case you wonder, what the output looks like, here it is:

I learned all that from:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... essing.php

and:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/

Greetings,
Ingo

Return to “Art Discussion”