Welcome!
Forum users
  • Please read this before asking for help, and don't forget to add Quick System Info to help requests!
  • Please follow the Forum Rules

Current releases
--MX-21 release info here
--Migration information to MX-21 here
--antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) release info here

Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-19.3 ahs on dell insiron 5502

Here you can post about what you did to get MX to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MX.
Rparkman

MX-19.3 ahs on dell insiron 5502

#1 Post by Rparkman »

I just recently received a dell Inspiron 5502 with win 10 for Christmas. (My wife gave it to me). I was surprised these new computers have no DVD drive installed in them. (Any way my old win 7 laptop had given up the ghost, and I was looking at a refurb so that I could make it a linux machine. I had trouble with UEFI bios on another laptop and my old dell laptop had Legacy BIOS). The new dell had UEFI but when I tried to disable secure boot it had fit about bitlocker. So I left it alone and tried to load MX-19.3 from an attached USB DVD drive. I tried the straight edition MX-19.3 and it did not load all the way, I am not sure if the UEFI was the problem or the hardware was the problem. So I tried the MX-19.3 ahs edition and wallah! it loaded just fine. I have a HP 6000 running Win 7 on the internal drive, and MX-19-1 on a USB connected external hard drive, and I love MX-19. I plan to run the new laptop from an external USB hard drive also.
This in effect gives me dual boot options without having to touch the internal hard drive.
Thank-you to the MX team that came up with the AHS version of MX19.3. I think that MX-Linux is one of the better distro's out there.

Return to “Success Stories”