Back and happy to see how far the community has come!

Here you can post about what you did to get MX to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MX.
nats007

Back and happy to see how far the community has come!

#1 Post by nats007 »

GA Mepis/MX Community,

First and foremost, I must say it's good seeing some familiar names still on here! I was active back in the days with MEPIS and slowly drifted with life (second kid, new home, work demands) which took my attention from tinkering with Linux. With that, I converted my desktop to Mint 17 several years back for ease of use for the family and the desktop basically sat (power supply died). Fast forward to last week and school starting back up, I had 2 old desktops to restore for my kids. I decided to check out distrowatch and to my surprise, I see MX Linux at the top!

Of course, I start researching, visiting the MX website, and confirmed I still hav access to the forums! Yesterday, my daughter complained how her Dell Intel Duo Core desktop with Windows 8 was unusable and that was the final straw. I created a live USB (awesome feature to customize and save), popped it in, and verified that it was able to access the internet (I had to do a minor tweak to pick up the wireless USB), sound, and graphics all seemed OK. Also, took this as a learning moment for my 9 year old son to do the install to get him familiar with MX and show him how easy it can be to setup. Within a few clicks, rebooted into MX Linux 19.2 and all was well. He even learned how to pick a nice desktop wallpaper and a nice conky for his little sister. Next, we went on to update my old desktop (specs in sig) with MX Linux as well for his use. Being a KDE fan, I was unsure how I'd do with XFCE, but so far, I've been thoroughly impressed.

I actually bragged to a colleague who was complaining about lubuntu and recommended MX Linux today. He installed it and he's been thoroughly impressed thus far. With that, I wanted to say THANK YOU MX community for keeping the magic of MEPIS alive and seeing the collaboration with antiX has definitely paid dividends. I'm still learning the distro and will post a few screenshots in this thread later on in the week.

Very Respectfully,
Nats007
Nats007 ~ Linux User #458930
Desktop ~ sda1: SimplyMEPIS 11 64 BIT rel | AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz | 3GB DDR2-667 | WD 500 GB SATA | Biostar MCP6PB
Netbook ~ sda1: Windows XP SP3/sda2: antiX M8.5 KDE 4.6.3 | Asus Eee PC 1005HA | 2 GB DDR2 6400 | AGPtek 7200 mAh [/size]

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Back and happy to see how far the community has come!

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome back, and glad you like the changes! Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Success Stories”