-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How to crop a jpeg

Here you can post about what you did to get MEPIS to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MEPIS.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

How to crop a jpeg

#1 Post by eemaestro » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Some months ago (or was it years?), I had looked for a program to simply crop a jpeg image, to create a new image.

I had searched web how-to's on using gimp to do this. But after spending half an hour to forty-five minutes trying to do in gimp, had no success, and felt no smarter about gimp, so gave up.

Today I stumbled across a bit map editor http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/75531.html that runs on Windoze/Mac/Linux and

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache search pinta 
revealed it to already be in the MEPIS repo!
So I installed it. APT told me the program occupied 4.7 MB of disk space.

So I opened the program, found a jpeg, and tried to crop the image, with NO previous experience and with NO additional web reading. It took me 7 minutes of experimentation, and the image was cropped the way I intended to. I wrote it to another jpeg file, and verified it was so using gwenview. Because pinta has unlimited un-do, I was also able to get the original image back by pressing Ctrl-Z about five dozen times.
What a pleasant surprise!

richb
Administrator

Re: How to crop a jpeg

#2 Post by richb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:46 pm

I am surprised. It is very easy in Gimp
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:27 pm

@ eemaestro - You commented that gwenview was used for verification - gwenview can also do simple cropping and can revert to the original image.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by eemaestro » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Today I opened a jpeg in gwenview and tried to follow this tutorial to crop it:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/06/how-to- ... nview.html

Eight minutes went by. I still could not find anything labeled "crop". Probably because I couldn't find the "right vertical toolbar".

So I gave up.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by arjaybe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 pm

When I select Edit I see Crop, which has the keystroke Shift-C. Two simple ways to get at it. I don't see a "right vertical toolbar" either, and I don't see an "Edit" menu item in that tutorial. But I do have a left vertical toolbar, and at the bottom there are three buttons for Folders, Information and Operations. There is a Crop under Operations.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by timkb4cq » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:08 pm

And if you have the Menubar where "Edit" resides hidden, you can unhide it by pressing <ctrl>+m
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:32 pm

MX 15's Shotwell also works well; I used it to crop out my avatar of the Macklemore Thrift Shop monkey from a screenshot of a video, wearing your grandad's clothes and looking freakin' awesome. It looks real and slow-mo--not CGI.

Despite some time searching, my Google-fu skills could not find the original monkey video, though I know it was added to the subreddit for animated gifs with sound a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have time to search through those.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by eemaestro » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Okay, arjaybe, I was able to crop a jpeg using your <shift> c advice. Thanks.
I'll probably stick to pinta since I could figure it out on my own. Maybe I'll try shotwell
sometime, as I see it's in the repo. for MEPIS12 too.

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by aus9 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:43 pm

at the risk of appearing to be a mtpaint fanboy.....maybe I am

cropping is almost intuitive in it.

Assuming you are right handed, left click say the top area where you want to keep the image,
hold down the mouse and slide down and to the right to where you want image to end,
release mouse,
cick the delete key
image is cropped
now either click on save or save as

the red dash-es show what I am about to crop....meaning the image will just be pay to

You don't have to start at top left hand corner, you could start at any other corner and slide to the diaganol opposite corner

(2) Before clicking delete you can also re-adjust the box of dashes but I am revealing too many secrets eh :bagoverhead:
good Luck from MX-16 user

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by eemaestro » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:08 am

I tried to crop the same image this morning after installing mtpaint from the Debian repo.
It took me one minute, without reading your directions. (but only because my clock doesn't have a
second hand) I also discovered Ctrl-Z undid the wrong action I first took.
Yes, I will keep mtpaint. Definitely a winner. Thank you, aus9. If there exist other things I can do with it, be sure to mention them.

Return to “Success Stories”