(SOLVED) No space left in device

Moltke

(SOLVED) No space left in device

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

I'm having an issue with my antiX running from a usb with persistence enabled. I'm getting an error message about no space available but I can see there's still space, however, apparently there aren't free inodes

Code: Select all

df -i /home
S.ficheros     Nodos-i NUsed Nfree NUage% Mounted in
/dev/loop2       59776   59775       1  100% /home
But here

df -h
S.ficheros     size used  free Usage% Mounted in
/dev/sda1        7,5G   2,8G  4,8G  37% /live/boot-dev
/dev/loop0       818M   818M     0 100% /live/linux
/dev/loop1       1,5G   885M  503M  64% /live/persist-root
overlay          1,5G   885M  503M  64% /
/dev/loop2       904M   375M  467M  45% /home
How can I fix this? I can't run any program, they all complaint about not enough space in the device :( I don't know if it's related but it's was working ok till today when I remastered it. Any advice/help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Note: My system's in Spanish so I translated some stuff hope it's accurate and you understand.
Last edited by Moltke on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: No space left in device

#2 Post by JayM »

What size rootfs did you tell remaster to create at the end of its process?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am How can I fix this?
Some archives when extrtacted do use a large number of inodes, mainly through heavily usage of symlinks. Candidates are some Icon themes.
Suggest to increase size of homefs to something like 3GB.
Reboot without persistence and go to:
-> MX Tools -> RemasterCC -> Persistence -> Change size of Home-persistence
Ratio Size / Inodes:

Size   Inodes
1.0G    65536
1.5G    96000
3.0G   196608
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Moltke

#4 Post by Moltke »

JayM wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 am What size rootfs did you tell remaster to create at the end of its process?
1.5G but I don't think that's the problem, however, it seems to be fixed now

S.ficheros     Nodos-i NUsados NLibres NUso% Montado en
/dev/loop2         59K     35K     25K   59% /home
There's still 17% of difference

df -h /home
S.ficheros     Tamaño Usados  Disp Uso% Montado en
/dev/loop2       904M   347M  495M  42% /home

but at least I can use my apps again. :happy:

Moltke

#5 Post by Moltke »

fehlix wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:28 am
Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am How can I fix this?
Some archives when extrtacted do use a large number of inodes, mainly through heavily usage of symlinks. Candidates are some Icon themes.
Suggest to increase size of homefs to something like 3GB.
Reboot without persistence and go to:
-> MX Tools -> RemasterCC -> Persistence -> Change size of Home-persistence
Ratio Size / Inodes:

Size   Inodes
1.0G    65536
1.5G    96000
3.0G   196608
Actually, I tried to increase size of homefs but now I see I did it wrong, I tried within the persistance. Just to be clear, when you say "reboot without persistance" you mean in live mode; that is reboot and select the first option to boot and not the custom one, right? Will definetly do that! thanks for the fine explanation and the very helpful advice! :happy:

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 am Just to be clear, when you say "reboot without persistance" you mean in live mode; that is reboot and select the first option to boot and not the custom one, right?
Whith "no-space on device" in either rootfs or homefs you better change size without persistence enabled, to avoid any side effects.
You shall always be able to change persistence mode through the boot-menu. Within Gfx-(legacy) boot menu either through selecting another boot entry or by changing persist-mode with Fn-key "F5 Persist".
Within UEFI Grub-menu select the first entry without persistence or go through text menu or manually editing the menu entry.

Moltke

#7 Post by Moltke »

fehlix wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 am
Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:56 am Just to be clear, when you say "reboot without persistance" you mean in live mode; that is reboot and select the first option to boot and not the custom one, right?
Whith "no-space on device" in either rootfs or homefs you better change size without persistence enabled, to avoid any side effects.
You shall always be able to change persistence mode through the boot-menu. Within Gfx-(legacy) boot menu either through selecting another boot entry or by changing persist-mode with Fn-key "F5 Persist".
Within UEFI Grub-menu select the first entry without persistence or go through text menu or manually editing the menu entry.
Sorry but I'm not following so I googled "resize homefs antix" in the hope of finding something and I did find this:
https://mxlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45830#p455076

According to that, the limit size for homefs file is limited by the amount of available RAM in the system, since this system has only 2GB of RAM I don't think it's possible to increase it beyond that.

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am According to that, the limit size for homefs file is limited by the amount of available RAM in the system, since this system has only 2GB of RAM I don't think it's possible to increase it beyond that.
A good find :happy: - that's still a limitation.
With 2G you still have 128256 inodes available.

To use more space for storage available on the USBstick do use Live-usb-storage feature, which - if not already turned on automatically - shall create Live-usb-storage folder within the home folder, that's a mount-bind on the USBstick onto /Live-usb-storage/[username], e.g. for user demo onto /Live-usb-storage/demo.
You would turn it on by using this cheat-code [bootoption] "dostore", it will stay sticky until you turn it off with "nostore"

Moltke

#9 Post by Moltke »

fehlix wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am
Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am According to that, the limit size for homefs file is limited by the amount of available RAM in the system, since this system has only 2GB of RAM I don't think it's possible to increase it beyond that.
A good find :happy: - that's still a limitation.
With 2G you still have 128256 inodes available.

To use more space for storage available on the USBstick do use Live-usb-storage feature, which - if not already turned on automatically - shall create Live-usb-storage folder within the home folder, that's a mount-bind on the USBstick onto /Live-usb-storage/[username], e.g. for user demo onto /Live-usb-storage/demo.
You would turn it on by using this cheat-code [bootoption] "dostore", it will stay sticky until you turn it off with "nostore"
It's auto-turned on, and yes I do use it, in fact, I don't save stuff, i.e pictures, downloads... in the usb but in a sd card so that's not my concern, my main concern is that with time things like cache, config files residing in my /home will grow up and so far I've been able to save space by cleaning those up using bleachbit, by the way, Can I put some of those folders like .icons, .themes in "live-usb-storage"?. One more thing and I know I'd probably should ask this in a different post but...is it safe to remove old kernels from a system running with persistance? I know it is when installed in a HDD but this...I'm really not sure. Thanks!

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pm Can I put some of those folders like .icons, .themes in "live-usb-storage"?.
Yep, the Live-usb-Storege folder is owned by the user, so you can move and symlink those to the Live-usb-storage folder:
Here a example one liner for the ~/.cache folder

cp -a ~/.cache ~/Live-usb-storage && mv ~/.cache  ~/.cache.old && ln -s ~/Live-usb-storage/.cache ~/.cache && rm -r ~/.cache.old
You might think just removing the .cache, but this would aslo remove any font-caches, so I rather move it savely the way as above.
Moltke wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:47 pmOne more thing and I know I'd probably should ask this in a different post but...is it safe to remove old kernels from a system running with persistance?
Sure you can remove the kernel not used by the Live-init, do a remaster afterwards so it get cleared also from the linuxfs.

Return to “antiX”