Lightdmon Antix 19 Beta

brolly

Lightdmon Antix 19 Beta

#1 Post by brolly »

Hi guys. All has been going ok wigth Antix in my VM. I made a custom xfce spin using these instructions: https://eirenicon.org/knowledge-base/co ... -tutorial/ I've been trying to switch to Lightdm. It won't allow me to change any settings even with root access. Is there a method to get lightdm working In antix 19 without breaking the system? Thanks

skidoo

Re: Lightdmon Antix 19 Beta

#2 Post by skidoo »

not a lightdm fan, but I tested just now
get lightdm working In antix 19 without breaking the system?
fresh antiX19b1 virtualbox instance:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install lightdm (during install chose lightdm as the default login manager)
sudo killall slim
at TTY login prompt, login as root//root
and issue the command:
lightdm
(the login manager, which will launch the X server, must be started by root)
no problem. The result is ----v
It won't allow me to change any settings even with root access.
Maybe you tried using some GUI "lightdm settings changer thingie" utility which relies on a not-yet-configured pkexec rule?
FWIW, the lightdm conf files are plaintext, are sudo editable from commandline or via text editor.
sudo nano... and as expected, in my testing they were editable.

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

If you run the lightdm settings changer thingee (technical term... ;) ) from terminal with sudo it works. I'll look through my notes to see if I ever really got it to work. I'm pretty certain the problem had to do with pkexec... sudo... gksudo. But I'll hunt to see what I can find.

EDIT: The lightdm-gtk-setting thingee only works when used with sudo in terminal cli mode. It remains on my todo list of items to fix. Sorry. :needcoffee:

Edit#2: I tried on bspwm to simply create a launcher buttom with the cli command:

Code: Select all

sudo lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
That worked fine.
I'm guessing you can create a similar launcher button in whiskermenu and have it function albeit not exactly the correct way.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#4 Post by oops »

FI; Here with lightdm, and for multi users behavior, I prefer to show the users names, so I created a new file: 02_my_user.conf , for a customized config. with greeter-hide-users=false

Code: Select all

$ cat /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/02_my_user.conf 
# Debian specific defaults
#
# - use lightdm-greeter session greeter, points to the etc-alternatives managed
# greeter
# - hide users list by default, we don't want to expose them
# - use Debian specific session wrapper, to gain support for
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d scripts

[Seat:*]
greeter-session=lightdm-greeter

#greeter-hide-users=true
greeter-hide-users=false

session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

oops wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:11 pm FI; Here with lightdm, and for multi users behavior, I prefer to show the users names, so I created a new file: 02_my_user.conf , for a customized config. with greeter-hide-users=false
[...]
@oops, Thank you! I have been looking for a fix for the extra typing problem (on login) for months. Your fix is as they say "the bomb!" :bagoverhead:

Edit: ah... your name in lights (pun intended)
https://eirenicon.org/knowledge-base/re ... drop-down/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#6 Post by oops »

... You are welcome, Manyroads.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “antiX”