(SOLVED) ntfs-3g-mount: failed: device or resource busy

Moltke

(SOLVED) ntfs-3g-mount: failed: device or resource busy

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all having a nice life! 🙂

I’m having this issue in Antix 17.2 with an external USB hdd. I keep getting this error in spacefm “ntfs-3g-mount: failed: device or resource busy”. I installed ntfs-3g to no avail.
inxi -D shows this

Code: Select all

ID-3: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Backup+ SL size: 931.51 GiB
lsblk shows this

db 8:16 0 931,5G 0 disk /media/Seagate
└─sdb1 8:17 0 931,5G 0 part
I don't get what's going on, the drive works fine in MX-18 and Windows.The drive seems to mount but no files are shown. I already tried a spacefm root window, same. Any help/advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Moltke on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

Moltke

Re: ntfs-3g-mount: failed: device or resource busy

#2 Post by Moltke »

I managed to solve it by mounting the drive manually in /mnt, read only thoug so that's another thing I have to figure out how to solve now but I can access drive's contents and that's fine for now :)

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

Moltke wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 am I managed to solve it by mounting the drive manually in /mnt, read only thoug so that's another thing I have to figure out how to solve now but I can access drive's contents and that's fine for now :)
For read/write access you can try to mount it manually with the ntfs-3g command. Of course, you should unmouint it first before trying this:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/ntfs
sudo ntfs-3g -o recover /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs
Here is a reasonable set of options: recover,rw,umask=000,dmask=002,fmask=113,uid=1000,gid=1000
so the command becomes:

sudo ntfs-3g -o recover,rw,umask=000,dmask=002,fmask=113,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs
I'm assuming the ntfs partition is on /dev/sdb1. There is nothing special in the name "mnt/ntfs" you can choose any name for that directory.

You may get the same error message you got before. You can look at "dmesg | tail" for clues. If you do a web search for the original error message you will find several different solutions. My guess is the ntfs partition may not have been unmounted cleanly so ntfs-3g refuses to mount it. The "recover" option may take care of that.

Also, once you get it to mount with "recover" then your original way of mounting it may start to work again. So I suggest you try to mount it with just the "recover" option and unmount it and try to mount it normally.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Moltke

#4 Post by Moltke »

BitJam wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 pm
Moltke wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 am I managed to solve it by mounting the drive manually in /mnt, read only thoug so that's another thing I have to figure out how to solve now but I can access drive's contents and that's fine for now :)
For read/write access you can try to mount it manually with the ntfs-3g command. Of course, you should unmouint it first before trying this:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/ntfs
sudo ntfs-3g -o recover /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs
Here is a reasonable set of options: recover,rw,umask=000,dmask=002,fmask=113,uid=1000,gid=1000
so the command becomes:

sudo ntfs-3g -o recover,rw,umask=000,dmask=002,fmask=113,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs
I'm assuming the ntfs partition is on /dev/sdb1. There is nothing special in the name "mnt/ntfs" you can choose any name for that directory.

You may get the same error message you got before. You can look at "dmesg | tail" for clues. If you do a web search for the original error message you will find several different solutions. My guess is the ntfs partition may not have been unmounted cleanly so ntfs-3g refuses to mount it. The "recover" option may take care of that.

Also, once you get it to mount with "recover" then your original way of mounting it may start to work again. So I suggest you try to mount it with just the "recover" option and unmount it and try to mount it normally.
Thanks for the elaborated answer! :) Well, the thing solved by itself, on restart I mounted the drive and it had read-write permissions so I didn't have to do anything. Not sure what or how happened but it did. I bookmarked this topic so I can have your very detailed post at hand if needed. Thanks again for taking the time!

Return to “antiX”