News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How-to convert antiX to an XFCE4 based Distro (tutorial)

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

How-to convert antiX to an XFCE4 based Distro (tutorial)

Post by manyroads » Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 am

I have just published a tutorial on converting antiX (specifically alpha2 version of antiX19) to an XFCE4 based Distro. You may view it here:
http://eirenicon.org/2019/05/26/convert ... -tutorial/

Be advised: I believe the tutorial should work with version 17.4 of antiX but I have not tested using that platform.
Note: This is a learning tool. Not intended for 'production'.

You may copy or use the tutorial, as suits your need(s). As with all my work, no guarantees are expressed or implied. If you break things you get to keep all the pieces. :lipsrsealed: Practice safe computing! :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How-to convert antiX to an XFCE4 based Distro (tutorial)

Post by dreamer » Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks. A tutorial like this might be even more valuable than a finished ISO. Always nice to have things documented. :happy:

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 pm

dreamer wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Thanks. A tutorial like this might be even more valuable than a finished ISO. Always nice to have things documented. :happy:
Fear not... a finished iso is also on the way. I've been gluing, cutting & pasting things today. For a while there, I had quite a big pile of loose parts. :popcorn:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Moltke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Moltke » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 pm

manyroads wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 am
I have just published a tutorial on converting antiX (specifically alpha2 version of antiX19) to an XFCE4 based Distro. You may view it here:

Be advised: I believe the tutorial should work with version 17.4 of antiX but I have not tested using that platform.

You may copy or use the tutorial, as suits your need(s). As with all my work, no guarantees are expressed or implied. If you break things you get to keep all the pieces. :lipsrsealed: Practice safe computing! :crossfingers:
Nice tutorial there! I wonder whether it wouldn't be easier to do this using the antix-base.iso instead of the antix-full.iso, thus avoiding having to remove all those packages since they wouldn't be there in the first place. Just a thought.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

jackdanielsesq
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jackdanielsesq » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am

Excellent idea
Will report on my findings soonest
Regards
Jack
Moltke wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 pm
manyroads wrote:

Nice tutorial there! I wonder whether it wouldn't be easier to do this using the antix-base.iso instead of the antix-full.iso, thus avoiding having to remove all those packages since they wouldn't be there in the first place. Just a thought.

Moltke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Moltke » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm

jackdanielsesq wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am
Excellent idea
Will report on my findings soonest
Regards
Jack
Moltke wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 pm
manyroads wrote:

I just tried with Antix 17.4.1-base.iso and I thought there would be no desktop whatsoever but I was wrong, so I think it makes no difference whether we use the base or full iso since we'd still have to remove those packages, so maybe a better approach would be to use the Antix-core.iso, which according to what I read most wireless will work.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

I found that it did... but with all the improvements/ changes coming in antiX19 that may not be the case 'down the road'. Thus far though I have found it best (for me) to take away from the full install all the while leaving a few critical antiX components even though I use replacement items (e.g. I use lightDM and leave Slim untouched). I plan to do the same with bspwm (because, I'm trying to lean how-to use a tiling manager desktop). ;)
Pax vobiscum,

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm

I made some tentative efforts with 17.4.1-base and ran into some missing seldom used utilities; therefore, decided to stay with antiX-19-full-x32, after the release version, for my EeePC netbook.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-686, 150GB HDD

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Excuse me: Is there a simple way in Antix to only change the Menu to something else that includes a "search box" ? (and leave the rest the same)
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit 5.2.8-antix.1-686-smp-pae

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Huckleberry wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Excuse me: Is there a simple way in Antix to only change the Menu to something else that includes a "search box" ? (and leave the rest the same)
Perhaps you can offer some clarity on which menu, which desktop environment/ manager you mean; it might also be good to know what searchbox you need or want.

Oh and if @anticapitalista sees this, he'll correct you... it is antiX :lipsrsealed: :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “antiX”