antiX19a2 (xfce, openbox and more?) personal project(s)/ test

manyroads

Re: antiX19a2 (xfce, openbox and more?) personal project(s)/ test

#11 Post by manyroads »

Hello Paulo (PPC) & kernelkurtz.

Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Linux is certainly all about choice. I don't know that I'd say one desktop is better than another; simply that each desktop appeals to some and not others. Can you make them all very much alike? The answer is yes. (Actually that was what I was trying to see with the homogeneity exercise with the antiX wms). I think it is safe to say that as functions are added to any desktop, they consume additional resources. In the end, one person's beauty, essential needs, functional requirements becomes another person's system bloat.

As for me, my personal favorite desktop is xfce (no matter the OS). I, also, am a huge fan of most of the native xfce tools, especially Thunar. That's just me. I understand and appreciate that for others different choices are to their liking. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.

I am happy that I can do everything I want with xfce (on both MX and antiX). I truly appreciate the innovations and quality built into both OSes.

As for the available Linux desktops, I've used xfce for well over a decade and I just like it. I'm new to Openbox and have to say it 'charms me'. The same is almost true of icewm. In the long ago past I was a happy gnome2 user... today's gnome is totally unappealing to me. The same is true of KDE; not my style. LXQt is ok; as for the rest, I am happy to leave those for others to enjoy. :bagoverhead:

So what does this all mean... not much other than I love the choices. I like challenging & testing my skills to see what I can do. I love sharing what I learn. :needcoffee:

I am in the process of trying to build a clean snapshot of my xfce/openbox antiX setup. Once I get something that builds and is shareable, I'll make it available. :snail:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

whiskerc

#12 Post by whiskerc »

Hi Manyroads,

Though mostly a "lurker" on forums, I wanted to offer another vote of appreciation for your efforts. MX is a very special distribution, and one that would disappoint many of us if it went "systemd" only. In that case, for me anyway, it would likely be antix.

As for XFCE, like you, I've been using it for a while and "just like it".

If and when you'd like others to test a build, please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

whiskerc wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm Hi Manyroads,

Though mostly a "lurker" on forums, I wanted to offer another vote of appreciation for your efforts. MX is a very special distribution, and one that would disappoint many of us if it went "systemd" only. In that case, for me anyway, it would likely be antix.

As for XFCE, like you, I've been using it for a while and "just like it".

If and when you'd like others to test a build, please let me know. I'd be glad to help.
Thank you very much. I will do that. I have gotten a clean snapshot but I prefer to wait to the next antiX alpha or beta (whichever is next) before making a copy for folks to test and comment upon. :happy:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

whiskerc

#14 Post by whiskerc »

Makes sense to wait for the next "alpha" or "beta".

For what it's worth, I did play around with the antix "alpha 1". It was solid.

anticapitalista
Developer

#15 Post by anticapitalista »

whiskerc wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 pm Makes sense to wait for the next "alpha" or "beta".

For what it's worth, I did play around with the antix "alpha 1". It was solid.
Nice compliment, but it is far from 'solid' ;)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

anticapitalista wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:23 pm [...]

Nice compliment, but it is far from 'solid' ;)
Although you (and the antiX team) are to be seriously and strongly complimented @anticapitalista. I have spent over 50 hours working on the alpha with almost zero problems. I've reported the small ones I've seen. Trust me I have not been gentle... :footinmouth:
Pax vobiscum,

whiskerc

#17 Post by whiskerc »

PS (off-topic)
How does one get to be a "Reg. linux user #" as per your signature, @anticapitalista ?

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

whiskerc wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:49 pm PS (off-topic)
How does one get to be a "Reg. linux user #" as per your signature, @anticapitalista ?
The site that did that has gone away... sorry. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “antiX”