wicd does not log into unsecured WiFi signal

Klaas Vaak

wicd does not log into unsecured WiFi signal

#1 Post by Klaas Vaak »

Wicd works fine in my home, where the signal is secured. But if I go to a public WiFi place where the signal is unsecured, Wicd cannot log in - it keeps trying to contact the router but fails.

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: wicd does not log into unsecured WiFi signal

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

Some public wifi spots will give you an ip but require a browser acceptance of terms before allowing any routing.
Wicd might be getting an ip address but unless you open a browser to login you won't actually get a connection.

If it's not getting an ip at all, you might want to close wicd, open a terminal and try ceni on that public wifi spot.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Klaas Vaak

#3 Post by Klaas Vaak »

Thanks for your reply.
timkb4cq wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm Some public wifi spots will give you an ip but require a browser acceptance of terms before allowing any routing.
Wicd might be getting an ip address but unless you open a browser to login you won't actually get a connection.
Yes, that happened once and I managed to get access. But after that - it's the same hotspot each time - I have not had that log in possibility anymore, even though I have the browser open each time.
If it's not getting an ip at all, you might want to close wicd, open a terminal and try ceni on that public wifi spot.
What is the command to use ceni?

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

Code: Select all

ceni
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

kc1di

#5 Post by kc1di »

On my MX install ceni was not installed by default and needed to be installed

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ceni

Klaas Vaak

#6 Post by Klaas Vaak »

kc1di wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am On my MX install ceni was not installed by default and needed to be installed.
On antiX Ceni is installed by default. I was just wondering how to launch it.

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

Klaas Vaak wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm
kc1di wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am On my MX install ceni was not installed by default and needed to be installed.
On antiX Ceni is installed by default. I was just wondering how to launch it.
It's in the control centre, under Network
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

kc1di

#8 Post by kc1di »

I might add it works very well better than network manager in my opinion.

Klaas Vaak

#9 Post by Klaas Vaak »

anticapitalista wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm It's in the control centre, under Network
Thanks for that.
I have seen set-up instructions on the antiX web page, but the screenshots that serve as instructions are too small to be read but cannot be enlarged.
Is there anywhere else I can read the set-up instructions, or could could you list the basic steps?

Return to “antiX”