antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

anticapitalista
Developer

antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

#1 Post by anticapitalista »

First alpha build of the upcoming antiX-19 release, based on Debian Buster.

Full announcement here: https://antixlinux.com/antix-19-a1-full ... available/
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Downloaded!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Installed on my personal laptop so it screams! It looks awesome, conman works very well, first time I have seen the new installer--wowza! Now running my favorite fluxbox with space.

Fine work.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

oops

#4 Post by oops »

... I 'm waiting for the x32 alpha ... (for a frugal install) ...
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

oops wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm ... I 'm waiting for the x32 alpha ... (for a frugal install) ...
Sorry, but due to limited resources, there won't be one.

We will offer a x32 version for beta testing.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

oops

#6 Post by oops »

anticapitalista wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:52 pm
oops wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm ... I 'm waiting for the x32 alpha ... (for a frugal install) ...
Sorry, but due to limited resources, there won't be one.

We will offer a x32 version for beta testing.
Ah, no problem Anticapitalista . I will wait.

EDIT: Tried the x64 on virtual machine, and I like it, congratulations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oops on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

BitJam
Developer

#7 Post by BitJam »

Request for Testing

1) Please test the rescue system on the live-media. It should be available via both Legacy and UEFI booting. If you boot legacy then you will have to first switch to grub in order to get to the rescue menus. The basic idea is it will find all of the Linux (and Windows?) systems on your machine and create a menu to boot into them.

2) We added a similar rescue feature called chroot-rescue-scan but it is command line only for now and there is no desktop file for it so it is easily overlooked. You should be able to run it from the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo chroot-rescue-scan
It too will look for all of the Linux systems on your computer, make a menu listing them all, and let you chroot into any one of them.

3) It would be good if a brave soul could test the live system built on fat32 such as what is made by Rufus on Windows. Test persistence and all that jazz.

Notes
There were a number of long and painful threads after the MX-18 release started by people who could not boot into their newly installed MX-18 system. The live rescue system (created by fehlix) and the chroot-rescue system are meant to be our firsts line of defence when someone can't boot into their system. These tools should let people get into an unbootable system and fix the problem. We want to make sure they work in most/all situations and are easy to use.

In addition, the chroot-rescue-scan program tries to identify the name of all the distros it finds. If it is not identifying a system correctly or just calling it "Linux", please let us know the distro so we can try to get the identification working for it.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

BitJam wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 pm Request for Testing

1) Please test the rescue system on the live-media. It should be available via both Legacy and UEFI booting. If you boot legacy then you will have to first switch to grub in order to get to the rescue menus. The basic idea is it will find all of the Linux (and Windows?) systems on your machine and create a menu to boot into them.
I think it tries to find all Windows7-10 and generates menu entries to boo into. I haven't any WinXP to test it for this winos.
When it runs the generated rescue menus will present for all available grub install's and WindOS corresponding boot entries. For those who have GRUB2WIN installaed on Windows it shall also let you boot into that GRUB menu on Windows partiton.
So please report any feedback and findings.
BitJam wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 pm 2) We added a similar rescue feature called chroot-rescue-scan but it is command line only for now and there is no desktop file for it so it is easily overlooked. You should be able to run it from the command line:

sudo chroot-rescue-scan
It too will look for all of the Linux systems on your computer, make a menu listing them all, and let you chroot into any one of them.
This chroot-rescue-scan system is extremely helpful also for fixing boot issues, e.g. due to corrupted grub settings,
It can help to fix to repair GRUB and UEFI or BIOS booted systems. With this tool run from a LiveSystem we are good position to quickly repair a broken boot-process on an installed system.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

that chroot-rescue-scan is wonderful! That will be a real asset for system repair duties

with the rescue menus from grub, it also generates entries for the efi on the live stick. any way to exclude those? (or maybe we don't want too?)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

Maybe this early alpha is meant to be a bare-bones release without all of the normal antiX stuff, meant just to test the boot repair tools, but in case that's not true I'll report this.

On my system, when I just boot from the LiveUSB normally (just hit enter at the first boot menu screen) I get the usual text boot messages, then I get a totally black screen for several minutes (I didn't time it but it was at least to to three minutes), then I finally get dropped back to a tty screen with a text login prompt. After I log in as demo and run startx I get the desktop, sort of, but with no icons, wallpaper or Conky, just a black desktop, a mouse cursor and a panel with the menu button and workspace switcher at the bottom. Apps and things worked but were rather slow to start, not snappy like the current stable antiX running on a live USB. Even loading websites in Firefox seemed slow.

I did a Conky toggle and the conky came up but with no data being presented, I went to the desktop properties and tried to select a wallpaper but nothing happened when I clicked on that.

I tried again in safe video mode: same thing. Same if I tell it to load the grub menu then do a normal boot with the default kernel.

I checked the md5 integrity of the ISO and it tests OK.

While I was in safe video mode I did an inxi -Fxz and saved its results to a file:

$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: mx Kernel: 4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
  Desktop: IceWM 1.4.3.0~pre-20181030 
  Distro: antiX-19.a1_x64-full Marielle Franco 27 April 2019 
  base: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: A780GM-LE serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.50 date: 05/25/2010 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 3 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 7236 
  Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 1000/2600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1800 2: 1800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] vendor: ASRock driver: N/A bus ID: 01:05.0 
  Display: tty server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: vesa resolution: 720x480~N/A 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.4 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:14.2 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock 
  driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.06 TiB used: 1.11 GiB (0.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3160815AS size: 149.05 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST1000DM010-2EP102 size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 7.50 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 2.89 GiB used: 9.6 MiB (0.3%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 132 Uptime: 17m Memory: 7.55 GiB used: 421.0 MiB (5.4%) Init: SysVinit 
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.33 
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “antiX”