make freedos flash stick to update Dell Optiplex 980 bios

namida12

make freedos flash stick to update Dell Optiplex 980 bios

#1 Post by namida12 »

How to use Live USB Maker for freedos stick? Or should I install Unetbootin?

JR

Thought I was on Dell page explaining how to update using Linux, can't find page again with instructions...
Antix does not have Unetbootin....

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Developer

Re: make freedos flash stick to update Dell Optiplex 980 bios

#2 Post by Stevo »

I'd go for unetbootin.

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

Here is the page with instructions: Updating the Dell BIOS in Linux and Ubuntu Environments. If your F12 boot menu shows a "BIOS Flash Update" option then just copy the bios .exe file to a normal fat32 usb stick, plug it into the machine and select that option when you boot. If you don't have a fat32 usb-stick you can make one by partitioning with gparted and creating a fat32 (vfat) filesystem.

If you don't have that option in your F12 menu then it is easy to make a FreeDos live-usb. Download the "USB Lite installer" from FreeDos Download page. Unzip the file and you should see the file FD12LITE.img. Then plug in a usb stick and run:

Code: Select all

sudo dd-live-usb -f FD12LITE.img
Select the usb device you want to over-write if there is more than one. Presto! You now have a FreeDos live-usb. It has a vfat file system so you can mount it and copy the BIOS file to it.

When it boots on your Dell (via the F12 menu in legacy mode), it will want to install. DON'T DO THAT! Instead select the "exit to dos " option and run the bios.exe file (or whatever you are supposed to do).
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

namida12

#4 Post by namida12 »

BitJam wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm Here is the page with instructions: Updating the Dell BIOS in Linux and Ubuntu Environments. If your F12 boot menu shows a "BIOS Flash Update" option then just copy the bios .exe file to a normal fat32 usb stick, plug it into the machine and select that option when you boot. If you don't have a fat32 usb-stick you can make one by partitioning with gparted and creating a fat32 (vfat) filesystem.

If you don't have that option in your F12 menu then it is easy to make a FreeDos live-usb. Download the "USB Lite installer" from FreeDos Download page. Unzip the file and you should see the file FD12LITE.img. Then plug in a usb stick and run:

Select the usb device you want to over-write if there is more than one. Presto! You now have a FreeDos live-usb. It has a vfat file system so you can mount it and copy the BIOS file to it.

When it boots on your Dell (via the F12 menu in legacy mode), it will want to install. DON'T DO THAT! Instead select the "exit to dos " option and run the bios.exe file (or whatever you are supposed to do).
1st I used Unetbootin to create a FreeDos live-usb that would not boot.
2nd I formatted the 2gig flash drive and followed your instructions extracted files from zip - copied FD12LITE.img to home and in a terminal

it created the Flash Drive. Tried to copy the bios exec file into drive, but kept getting message not enough room. Used Gparted to check flash drive it was reformatted to 30.92 mb fat16 and it was full. do I increase the partition size to copy the bios file into that partition?

The drive booted with info the drive had errors with verbiage it needs to run fsck

JR

BitJam
Developer

#5 Post by BitJam »

namida12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 am1st I used Unetbootin to create a FreeDos live-usb that would not boot.
2nd I formatted the 2gig flash drive and followed your instructions extracted files from zip - copied FD12LITE.img to home and in a terminal

it created the Flash Drive. Tried to copy the bios exec file into drive, but kept getting message not enough room. Used Gparted to check flash drive it was reformatted to 30.92 mb fat16 and it was full. do I increase the partition size to copy the bios file into that partition?

The drive booted with info the drive had errors with verbiage it needs to run fsck
You're right. I gave you horrible advice. I didn't check to see if there was enough size left for the bios file. I'm maxed out rebuilding my computer system so I ended up not giving your problem the attention it deserves. I'm sorry.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

namida12

#6 Post by namida12 »

BitJam,

No need to be sorry. I am just trying to accomplish something that is really beyond my current working knowledge. My question @ this point. If I make a freedos cd and if I can boot from the cd how can I find the flash drive and attempt to flash the bios in this older dell system.

I need some hand holding so I can update the bios not knowing or remembering the dos commands to accomplish this task.

JR

baldyeti

#7 Post by baldyeti »

i definitely do not know about this specific Dell model, but many machines have an option to flash from within the BIOS, or using a certain function key at startup - this generally just expects that you plug a fat-formatted USB key with your ROM image in the top-level folder...

Return to “antiX”